Gibson Brands Forums

Mini Humbuckers into an R6???

Bluesburst

Sounds like your looking to turn your R6 into a "Deluxe". It has always been my understanding that the plastic surrounds used on the original mini's in the Deluxe were to make the pickup fit the standard routing for the P-90.

The legend goes that when Gibson bought Epiphone they received as part of the deal a large quantity of mini-humbuckers that Epi had been using in some of their models. Gibson designed the plastic surround so they would fit Gibson bodies cut with the existing tooling used for P-90 equipped guitars. It also took a special mounting bracket under the pickup for fastening and adjusting.

I have no idea what "aftermarket" or vintage parts are available, but the project would require the pickups, the surrounds and the brackets. If you have all the right parts, it should be a drop-in and solder project.

A similar question has been raised in another thread called "Reissue the Deluxe", or something like that, and someone in that thread has disagreed with me that the mini with the plastic surround was a drop-in replacement for the P-90. I've never done this conversion myself, I'm only passing along what I've read in published sources.

Sounds like your looking to turn your R6 into a "Deluxe". It has always been my understanding that the plastic surrounds used on the original mini's in the Deluxe were to make the pickup fit the standard routing for the P-90.

The legend goes that when Gibson bought Epiphone they received as part of the deal a large quantity of mini-humbuckers that Epi had been using in some of their models. Gibson designed the plastic surround so they would fit Gibson bodies cut with the existing tooling used for P-90 equipped guitars. It also took a special mounting bracket under the pickup for fastening and adjusting.

I have no idea what "aftermarket" or vintage parts are available, but the project would require the pickups, the surrounds and the brackets. If you have all the right parts, it should be a drop-in and solder project.

A similar question has been raised in another thread called "Reissue the Deluxe", or something like that, and someone in that thread has disagreed with me that the mini with the plastic surround was a drop-in replacement for the P-90. I've never done this conversion myself, I'm only passing along what I've read in published sources.

Thanks Larry, no my redtop R6 is perfect and will stay as is, although I'm looking for somewhere I can get a new bracket for teh pickguard as it's mounted a bit high for my liking and I don't want to drill new holes, but that's another sissue altogether.

No, the idea is to get another R6 and put mini HB's in it. My understanding is similar to yours but I'd like to know for sure from experience before investing in the project.

Thanks Again

Archived