Gibson Brands Forums

Decide my pickup installation for me!

stumblinman

Alright, time for some tonal democracy.. I picked up a SD Jazz neck pickup yesterday in a trade, and I decided it's going into the neck position of my SG. My delimma is which pickup to put into the bridge since I'll be removing my SD Custom 5 to install the Jazz. I already have a Dirty Fingers in the bridge, but I hate to let the Custom 5 sit also.

Which brings me to all of you:

Pick my bridge pickup for me! Stick with Dirty Fingers or go with the Custom 5? As far as tone being a personal opinion, I'm ok with democracy on this. This is my #3 guitar, so it gets my spare pickups as opposed to my LP's which are my main tones. So don't worry about my opinion, go with your gut and let me know which should go in.

I'll be installing tonight (Friday) probably early evening so basically any votes in before about 5PM PST will count. I know elections just ended, but one more vote won't hurt, and this one actually will make a difference!

Well, since you apparantly have HALF of a "SD Hotrodded Humbucker Set"?

Bring new life to your guitar with the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker Set.

SH-2 Jazz model at the neck and SH-4 model at the bridge.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

Doh animal, I'll clarify. I meant between the Seymour SH-14 Custom 5 or the Gibby Dirty Fingers. Sorry, should have directly stated that.

Take the BB2 out of the bridge of your LP 100 and replace it with the Duncan Custom 5; then have the BB2 in the bridge of your SG with the Jazz in neck. Job done!

Take the BB2 out of the bridge of your LP 100 and replace it with the Duncan Custom 5; then have the BB2 in the bridge of your SG with the Jazz in neck. Job done!

Argh, now you're complicating things! That doesn't sound like a bad idea, though. But then I'll have to move the push/pull pot to the LP, and that's more than I want to do right now, plus, the 100 is my main player actually. I've put all sorts of different pickups in different guitars, but that one still plays and sounds the best to me. I know it's the cheapest of the 3, but damn, I think I got a good one. I'll keep checking back for more input, since wife and I are heading out for dinner and drinks, then I'll come home and work on it. Thanks for the input!

I'll keep checking back for more input, since wife and I are heading out for dinner and drinks, then I'll come home and work on it. Thanks for the input!

Don't burn yourself!

If you're keeping the BB2 in the LP 100 I'll go back to answer your original question.

If you like anything from blues, to rock, to metal........keep the Dirty Fingers in

If you like just blues and rock and want more PAF tone, put the Custom 5 in the bridge

How about that one?

Alan

Alright, since I had no real votes, I did the lazy thing and just left the Dirty Fingers in so I only had to change out the Custom 5 for the Jazz. Sounds great, and now I have a neck humbucker that I like. It's not muddy at all, and has a great tone when overdriven. Woot!

Archived