Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ160E Change strings

makdiver

hello,

I'm the proud owner of that lovely guitar and now I have to change a string. I tried to take out the little white plug at the end, but I nearly broke my nails.

Does someone has a tip for me, how I can remove it ?

Thanks

Michael

I hesitate to recommend using wire cutters as shown in the article. If you have a really tight pin, the human inclination is to squeeze the cutters and it's entirely possible you will cut the pin in half. Take my word for it when I tell you that trying to convince yourself the overly tight pin deserved it doesn't help you get back to playing your guitar any faster.

As far as using a coin, here's a little trick that works more easily than trying to fumble with the coin, dropping it inside the guitar 6 times, (or 12 for a 12 string), then having to futz around retrieving it so you can do it again.

Drop the coin down inside the index finger of a glove. A dime inside a golf glove or batting glove works pretty well. Winter gloves work fine as long as they aren't so padded you can't get your hand inside the guitar. If you press up from inside the guitar, be sure to support the top of the guitar from outside at the same time.

Something I've seen some people do is rub the pins on a bar of soap before they put them back in the guitar. A little dry soap acts like a lubricant. Once you restring the guitar, surface tension of the pin, string tightness and guitar top holds everything together. Once you loosen the string to replace it, it comes out more easily.

Archived