Gibson Brands Forums

Black Emperor (Regent?)

saintgodric

Hi

I've recently bought a guitar here in the UK which is puzzling me slightly. It was for sale as an 'Epiphone Emperor' but as far as I can see it's exactly the same as An 'Epiphone Emperor Regent' only (and heres the confusing thing) in black.

The full destription in the ad' read

'Epiphone Emperor Jazz Guitar

Serial No. BK R95M8246

Single pick up at the base of the neck

Large Mother of Pearl fret inlays

Beautiful guitar can be played with or without an amplifier'

The vendor tells me he bought it new from a shtheyop in Wales in 1998. I've contacted the shop and they have verified his story but other than saying they used to import direct from the states in the 90's he couldn't tell me any more. He also said that the US 'Emperor Regent' of this age were actully just entitled 'Emperors' on the label.

I guess what i'm asking is is it a 'Regent' and if so is it rare what with it being black or did they do just a stright 'Emperor' in this spec and colour? I've trawled the net and can find nothing like it other than the 50's Delux which it obvioulsy isn't.

And help would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried toattacha couple of pictures.

Any thoughts on value would be welcomed

Thanks in advance

saintgodic

attachment=1257:epi_11.JPG]

post-27099-031569700 1289766574_thumb.jpg

post-27099-037906200 1289766555_thumb.jpg

Hi

I've recently bought a guitar here in the UK which is puzzling me slightly. It was for sale as an 'Epiphone Emperor' but as far as I can see it's exactly the same as An 'Epiphone Emperor Regent' only (and heres the confusing thing) in black.

The full destription in the ad' read

'Epiphone Emperor Jazz Guitar

Serial No. BK R95M8246

Single pick up at the base of the neck

Large Mother of Pearl fret inlays

Beautiful guitar can be played with or without an amplifier'

The vendor tells me he bought it new from a shtheyop in Wales in 1998. I've contacted the shop and they have verified his story but other than saying they used to import direct from the states in the 90's he couldn't tell me any more. He also said that the US 'Emperor Regent' of this age were actully just entitled 'Emperors' on the label.

I guess what i'm asking is is it a 'Regent' and if so is it rare what with it being black or did they do just a stright 'Emperor' in this spec and colour? I've trawled the net and can find nothing like it other than the 50's Delux which it obvioulsy isn't.

And help would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried toattacha couple of pictures.

Any thoughts on value would be welcomed

Thanks in advance

saintgodic

attachment=1257:epi_11.JPG]

post-27099-031569700 1289766574_thumb.jpg

That's a '95 Regent. Metallic Black (along with several other custom colors) was a option up until around 1998, it cost an additional $150. They also offered a gold flake and a silver flake for $250 extra. I actually had a silver flake Regent for awhile.

Archived