Gibson Brands Forums

I have a question about the 1998-2005 Double Cut Gibson

A.J.

I own a 2005 DC Gibson LP and I was wondering why they're so much cheaper than any of the other models. What's the reason behind it? Mine's the Standard ad it's not a Studio or a rip-off. What gives?

I looked at buying one a couple of years ago. The difference between the regular Standard and the DC Standard, I concluded (besides, the shape, obviously), was nothing but tradition and mojo,and people will pay a lot for that.

If I recall correctly, the '90s models had the 498/490 pick-ups (or whatever those 400 number ones were) and later ones had the Burstbuckers. I actually thought the DCs got a bum wrap because I thought the quality was very good, and I really like that they came with Grovers, at least the ones I saw. I know they don't make them anymore; I can only assume the demand wasn't there.

A.J., I really do not know..Heymisterk does make some good points....I myself wish that Gibson would bring them back...They were beautiful, well made, and the models with the flame tops were/are beautiful. Not many seem to be on the used market and the one's that are sell for what they were sold for new...If you don't get your question answered here, try the LP Forum...

Is selling them for what they were paid for new bad? I mean, I really like mine and I figured about the same as HeyMister, that the look was different. Heck, I like the PRS style and the higher fret access myself. Plus, the tops are absolutely gorgeous. It's translucent black.

Is selling them for what they were paid for new bad? I mean, I really like mine and I figured about the same as HeyMister, that the look was different. Heck, I like the PRS style and the higher fret access myself. Plus, the tops are absolutely gorgeous. It's translucent black.

Oops !!!!!!! What I meant A.J. was that they sell used for at least what they were bought for, which is a good sign; those who bought them keep them...Of course I am reffering to the versions that you own, and not the 'studio' versions.......24 frets, a plus.....In my opinion, as good and better sounding than most, but not all PRS guitars. There are many Gibby owners here who are fussy about Gibson models etc.; I wasn't buying for my collection at the time these were being made I and want one of those, or two, or three, or........." Yes !! "

Archived