Gibson Brands Forums

Need 16ohms, possible?

mrjones200x

Hi guys havent been hear for a while as couldnt get my login to work. Anyhow its all sorted now and im back for some info.

Im hopefully getting a Harley Benton GA5 modded by rat 2nd hand for the price of a new V3 next week but was hoping i could mod it slightly.

It comes as with the following mods already;

Voice

Pre Amp Bias

Position 1, a touch of negative feedback for a darker, mid-oriented tone, distinctly british. reduced front end gain

Position 2, Brighter and more open, typical small fender style sound

Position 3, High gain configuration

Power Amp gain

Position 1, Medium gain

Position 2, Low Gain

Position 3, High Gain

Pre amp Drive

Pre amp Tone

Power amp Output

Pentode/Triode/Standby switch

Mains On/Off

L-Pad Attenuator control on rear

Speaker impedance switch 4 ohm / 8 ohm

Connectors

Input

Power

Speaker

Di Out - Much better than average as taken from the power amp signal.

I have a marshall tsl 2x12 cab which is 16ohm and id like to run the amp into this sometimes so wondered is it possible to do this with the standard output transformer or would it need an upgrade? The guy doesnt know if its had a different opt fitted.

Or would i be better modding my cab to have 2 diff ohms settings? one 4ohm and one 16? is it even possible still using both speakers??

Thanks guys and it good to be back!

I think you will find the Marshall 2x12 to have a pair of 8ohm in series making 16ohm.

But it is common on Marshall cabs to have a switch system to put the speakers into parallel at 4ohm, or even run them stereo as separate 8ohm speakers. The usual effort has two speaker jack sockets and a mono/stereo switch: one parallel 4ohm "sw=mono"; one series 16ohm "sw=mono"; left 8ohm "sw=stereo"; right 8ohm "sw=stereo". The actual wiring of the switch and jacks is quite complicated but the plate can be bought ready-wired.

You GA5 can manage 4ohm or 8ohm. Either use the Marshall pair in parallel at 4ohm, or one of them alone at 8ohm.

My cab has 2 8ohm speakers wired for 16ohms (Marshall TSL212) I use them wired like this as standard with my blackstar ht5 head which has only 8 or 16ohm outputs.

I only have one input on my cab so i guess id have to wire it the switchable way 4ohm-16ohm. Would want both to be used thats all.

Archived