Gibson Brands Forums

Any advice on idea for DOT PRS style wiring ?

zanesaddiction

I gig alot, and don't want too many switches to worry about. I used to have the stock 2 Vol 2 Tone, but I would sometimes switch from rhythm to lead and my volume would be set up for the last song and wouldn't be loud enough or even off!. Embarrassing!

I play a buddies dual humbucker PRS with 5 way rotary switch. I liked the single coil-ish tone. It seems really versatile. No push pulls to worry about. perfect.

I wanna have 1 Vol 1 tone 500k/500k (dual concentric) .22 cap for standard bridge,middle,neck positions

5 way rotary

I've heard that positions 2 and 4 series (inner and outer coils parrallel) can sound thin.

Should I (and how) wire positions 2 and 4 to a separate 250k pot w/ .47 cap to warm the sound up?

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, but I know almost nothing about the wiring system you are describing.

You sound pretty well educated on the subject so you might already be familiar with these:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.2_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

At the bottom of the page are 6 diagrams using 1vol, 1 tone and 5 way rotary switch.

Don't know if it will help...but..It may give you some ideas until someone who knows about the subject chimes in.

Willy

Thanks for the link! Now I'm more confused...it's funny. Way more options than I realized.

I guess I need to investigate the difference in sounds between all these options.

0. 2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way rotary w/ South coil tap options

1. 2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way rotary w/ North coil tap options

2. 2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way rotary w/ coil tap options & Neck+Bridge humbuckers in position

3. 2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way rotary w/ hum canceling series, phase and tap options

4. 2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way rotary w/ parallel options in positions 2 & 4

5. 2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way rotary w/ hum canceling series & parallel options

6. 2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way rotary w/ PRS Switching-hum canceling series, parallel & tap

Archived