Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ-160E making buzzing noise

RIX

Has anyone notice a buzzing noise coming from the tuners when playing a harmonic E note on the 6th string? I am not a guitar tech, but I have lots of experience troubleshooting problems. This is what I found. The buzzing noise is coming from one of the tuner knobs. You can detect which knob is the problem by playing a harmonic E and then just touch each knob to see which is causing the problem. You may need someone to help you with this; since the buzzing does not last that long. You can also lightly jigging the knobs to see which one is loose. If you find you have this condition it can easily be fixed with Super Glue. First I laid my guitar on it’s side with the offending tuner point down, then place just a drop of Super Glue where the tuner knob end and meets the tuner’s staff. Be careful not to put more than a drop. Let it dry over night and it should be find.

If anyone else has come across this problem and has a better fix I would like to know what you did; in case the problem comes back.

If anyone else has come across this problem and has a better fix I would like to know what you did;

I called Gibson customer service, told them of my problem, actually played the guitar over the phone so they could hear the offending tuners, and they sent me three brand new tuners. I removed the old rattling ones, put in the brand new ones.

I called Gibson customer service, told them of my problem, actually played the guitar over the phone so they could hear the offending tuners, and they sent me three brand new tuners. I removed the old rattling ones, put in the brand new ones.

Thanks, if it comes back I will give that a try.

Archived