Gibson Brands Forums

Mounting the Blues 90 in BluesHawk?

Vestapol

I'm new to this Forum and just bought my first Gibson, a '96 BluesHawk. I might be in the wrong dicussion group for BluesHawks but I take direction well so please steer me...

The BluesHawk came with the neck pickup unscrewed. I haven't opened up the back of the guitar but the pup floats freely and seems to be held in only by the wiring. The two screws on the face of the pup won't engage their sockets. When I play for a while, the pup magnets get pulled right up onto the strings. [crying]

Can someone coach me on how I can get the two screws engaged?

Thanks,

Doug

I'm new to this Forum and just bought my first Gibson, a '96 BluesHawk. I might be in the wrong dicussion group for BluesHawks but I take direction well so please steer me...

The BluesHawk came with the neck pickup unscrewed. I haven't opened up the back of the guitar but the pup floats freely and seems to be held in only by the wiring. The two screws on the face of the pup won't engage their sockets. When I play for a while, the pup magnets get pulled right up onto the strings. [crying]

Can someone coach me on how I can get the two screws engaged?

Thanks,

Doug

Hi, I was adjusting the pickup height on my blueshawk yesterday and have the same problem with my bridge pickup, although one of the screws seems to be engaged but the other isn't so it's 'half loose'. If you work it out or if anyone's got any tips then I'd appreciate them too! Try as I might I can't seem to get the screw re-engaged

Cheers

Andrew

Hi, I was adjusting the pickup height on my blueshawk yesterday and have the same problem with my bridge pickup, although one of the screws seems to be engaged but the other isn't so it's 'half loose'. If you work it out or if anyone's got any tips then I'd appreciate them too! Try as I might I can't seem to get the screw re-engaged

Cheers

Andrew

Never thought I'd be able to give instructions on anything technical, I'm so new to guitar tech and brand new to Blueshawks. But I solved the problem and I hope this helps, Andrew.

Remove the strings and loosen the one gold screw that's still engaged. Gently lift the pickup out of the cavity...it will remain connected via a wire on the hi-E side...but there's enough play in the wire to turn the pup and rest it on the hi-E side of the body.

Each of the two screws has a spring on it which stayed in place for me.

What you see in the bottom of the cavity (a flashlight helps) is two holes in the Poplar. Each hole should have what I'll call a brass "sleeve" embedded. It'll be apparent that the two screws screw into the centers of these sleeves. In my case, these sleeves had come out of the wood and remained on the screws. I just unscrewed them and pressed them back into the wooden holes with the tip of my little finger. I then tapped, tapped them down flush with the tip of a round file and a little hammer.

(If your sleeves are very loose in the wood, maybe some wood glue would be in order...thoughts anyone?)

When I put the pup back in place, the sleeves held tight and the screws went into them just fine. I think the previous owner had tightened the screws down too hard and this tangled the "sleeves" in the springs. Then the owner tried to loosen the screws and they just pulled the "sleeves" out of the Poplar.

As I said, I'm so new to guitar tech that I hesitated to tackle this, but James St. James who posts on this Forum coached me and he was right on the money...thank you, James!

[thumbup]

Doug

Archived