Gibson Brands Forums

the sounding board - vol.1 no.1

sg79

Hi:

I have THE SOUNDING BOARD - Vol.1 No.1 Copyright 1911 by Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Co. Condition is Good / Used. The right edges are showing age. Pictured on the front is THE LYRIC MANDOLIN ORCHESTRA, MONTREAL, CANADA. Pages 15- 22 missing. One half of page 23 is missing. What is the value? thanks for your time.

Upon reflection, that could be interpreted as kind of snarky....

Let me expand....

I didn't really dig into the research for this particular item. I looked at some of the magazines I am familiar with and saw that, say, a 1911 Saturday Evening Post with all of it's pages and some wear on the edges went for $4. I know those are highly collectible, and so I figure something not so mainstream in worse condition would sell for less.

Less than $4, to me, is essentially worthless when dealing with vintage magazines.

You could always find a collector missing that one issue who would pay a premium price for it, but you might have to look for awhile.

Hope this helps!

Hi:

The item is the first catalog / magazine issued by Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Co. Vol.1 No.1 1911. There must be some value to the first catalog / magazine issued by this great guitar company. Listed on ebay, the 1920s catalogs go for $100. this is the first catalog / magazine from Gibson. It has to have value. It shows the "Gibson" Guitar Style "L-4" - pictured - and listed for $124.10. The "Alrite" mandolin Style "D" pictured and priced at List price $30.12 - Net price $17.00. This item must have some value.

Hi:

The item is the first catalog / magazine issued by Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Co. Vol.1 No.1 1911. There must be some value to the first catalog / magazine issued by this great guitar company. Listed on ebay, the 1920s catalogs go for $100. this is the first catalog / magazine from Gibson. It has to have value. It shows the "Gibson" Guitar Style "L-4" - pictured - and listed for $124.10. The "Alrite" mandolin Style "D" pictured and priced at List price $30.12 - Net price $17.00. This item must have some value.

Sounds like you already had an answer when you posted.

Good luck.

Archived