Gibson Brands Forums

A Couple of items: Getting connected with CEO & Banjo Production

david r

Hi all,

I tried to post a topic on Henry's forum but was told that I am not allowed to start a new topic. Oh well.

Question 1 for Henry:

Two weeks ago I put a deposit down for an ESS Banjo at Janet Davis Music Company. When can I realistically expect delivery?

Question 2 for Henry:

Have you found the manager you are looking for in the banjo shop?

Question 3 for Henry:

The corporate CEO world is a culture in itself that most people will not attain or understand. I learned this in the museum culture. There are many musuems and many opportunities for Directiors (CEO's) to move about in one's career. I had no idea this culture existed until I became a part of it. In the "Business Management" culture I expect that Gibson is a stepping stone for you on the way to more lucrative CEO opportunities in whatever field. That is okay an even admirable, but how does that weigh in on your management of Gibson, in other words is the heritage of the company part of it's business decisions? Would Gibson be any better off if an original heir ran the company? Do you play an instrument; I ask because playing an instrument attaches oneself to the culture.

Thank you for allowing me that opportunity to post questions to senior management publicly, but, I am really interested in when I will be able to get my banjo!

Tks...

David R.

Southern Maryland

David...

I ain't HenryJ, but I think I can answer some questions...

1. No idea on the banjo. Was it ordered directly from Gibson or a wholesaler or...???

2. No idea period.

3. Mr. J is also a/the major stockholder in his company and has stated that he changed his perspective after being at Gibson a while. Apparently initially he considered buying, doing a turnaround and then... apparently decided to keep developing the company.

Yes he plays guitar. I don't know how well, but he's actually played on stage. Guitar playing according to what he's written before had begun long before he even imagined buying Gibson.

As far as the Gibson "family," functionally there ain't any and ain't been. HenryJ noted, as I recall, in the talk-to-henry version of the forum that he hadn't met any relatives and apparently no relatives felt overwhelmingly inclined to get involved in the company.

There's a jump from the main Gibson site to this site's discussion of Orville Gibson's life.

http://www.siminoff.net/pages/gibson_background.html

Hope that holds you until somebody who knows something about the first questions get back to you.

EDIT: BTW, the boys' suggestion to call customer service is right on.

m

Archived