Gibson Brands Forums

Neck binding?

Kiddho

Has Gibson always bound there necks so the binding comes up over the frets? I want to have a custom made AJ built to the exact specks of 1936, but I'm getting conflicting reports as to whether they did this back then.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Has Gibson always bound there necks so the binding comes up over the frets? I want to have a custom made AJ built to the exact specks of 1936, but I'm getting conflicting reports as to whether they did this back then.

Your help is greatly appreciated

That could be difficult since there aren't many good pics and you don't know if they have been refretted and had the nibs removed or possibly rebound with the nibs. I know the Repro AJ has NIBs.

What you could do:

I spoke to a very cool guy a few weeks back named Rendal Wall. He has worked at the Gibson/Heritage guitar company in kalamazoo since he was like 14. I was asking him some questions about a Gibson bridge he invented and during the conversation I asked if he was familiar with or could date the "Kalamazoo" brand Acoustic I have. He said there was a guy that was still working for heritage that could give me some answers to that.

The problem is he gave me the Guys names that designed and built the E2 Explorer and the name of the person that could provide info on the Kalamazoo and I was writing quickly. So I have 3 names.

I believe it was Jack he told me to ask for to get the Kalamazoo info. If not it was either Chuck Burge, or Bruce Bolin but I believe it was Jack ( Sorry I didn't get the last name)

I would call the Heritage Guitar company and see what you can find out from them. Their number is 269-385-5721

Hope this helps.

Andy

No problem Hope you find your answer and let us know what you find out. Oh yeah I remember him saying that the guy was usually only available early in the morning so you might try calling around 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM EST

Archived