Gibson Brands Forums

1970's era Les Paul Deluxe

Californiaman

I read recently that Mike Ness was touring with Neil Young once. Young's guitar tech was taking Les Paul Deluxes and tearing the mini-humbuckers out and replacing them with P-90s.

Mike says he likes the way the Deluxe feels in his hands.

That was kind of cool information. Because I thought he used a '56.

Snapshot2009-02-0318-22-41.jpg

Reverse engineering at it's best, or what goes around, comes around.

The Les Paul Deluxe was born because Gibson inherited a boat load of Epiphone mini-humbuckers when they bought the company, and didn't know what to do with them. They finally figured out that if they had a plastic surround made to fit around around the mini in the shape of a P-90, they could use existing tooling they had that routed bodies for P-90's (which nobody wanted in the late 60's), and use up all these free pickups they had gotten in the Epi buyout.

I guess it's fitting (pun intended) that some these guitars are now being refitted with P-90's.

I a 71 and 76 Deluxes.The 71 is a great guitar.It weighs 9lb with a deep top carve,it feels kind of handmade.the 76 sounds great ,but is heavier,with an almost flat top and a maple neck. Early 70's Les pauls are just 69's with a pancake body.The mid late 70's Les Pauls are still good,but very different.

Deluxe7176.jpg

Deluxe7176backs.jpg

Archived