Gibson Brands Forums

Soon to be NGD 2010 Epiphone Dot - Upgrade help

60-hz-hum

Hey guys, I should be receiving this amazing lookin Dot through the post on friday, as it's going to have the stock Epi junk wiring etc I've been planning a complete overhaul of all hardware and electronics but have hit a few issues:

-For aesthetic reasons I want to install some Gibson Pickup surround rings, I've heard that Gibson Pickup rings do not match dimensions of the Epiphone rings, so I'm hoping I can just line the Gibsons up and screw down into the wood to make new holes, or will this screw the guitar? Has anybody tried this and got any photos - of gibbo rings on an Epi? - Will I end up with 'Butt-crack'?

-I'm also after some pickup surround rings screws (Which I would prefer in Nickel but they just don't seem to exist - what were the original 50s ones - chrome?) Anyway the question is; Do Gibson and Epiphone use the same screw dimensions for the pickup surround rings? What about the height adjustment screw too?

Many thanks for all your help friends [thumbup]

The guitar in question - 2010 (a few months old) Epi Dot, "hand picked for its wood grain/figuring", hardly played, with manufacturer case, spare knobs and scratchplate for £290 from Ebay.

Fair enough you can buy a new one for less than that but you wouldn't get guaranteed beauty and all the extras on top! I just hope she plays great and sounds fantastic [love]

5302013778_593a29a168.jpg5301420757_9f8ab0e636.jpg5301414261_b692b117eb.jpg

5302246076_737423c4d1.jpg5301611335_2c4665890e.jpg5301608725_d9ed27b919.jpg

5301406577_1a3b518850.jpg5301658775_4d8e6acecb.jpg

I'll be sure to post pics/info about my progress when I start the overhaul project towards then end of Jan.

Hi, and welcome here,

If the TRC is stock, i bet the guitar in the pics isn't a 2010 made.......

Hi Pete, thanks for the kind greeting, its a good job you brought that up - the seller is including the Gibson TRC & the Original Epi TRC, so hopefully everything is above board!

-For aesthetic reasons I want to install some Gibson Pickup surround rings, I've heard that Gibson Pickup rings do not match dimensions of the Epiphone rings, so I'm hoping I can just line the Gibsons up and screw down into the wood to make new holes, or will this screw the guitar? Has anybody tried this and got any photos - of gibbo rings on an Epi? - Will I end up with 'Butt-crack'?

It's best if you can keep USA pickups and rings together, but you may have some screw hole spacing dimensions that don't match up. Best case, a slight angle on the screw will work. Worst case, you'll need to fill the old screw holes and make fresh ones - see the DIY section. It's highly likely that the new rings will hide the old holes, but you may have to do a mock-up or two to make sure. Just be patient and get the right items so you don't regret anything for the many years you will own it. It's relatively easy to return unwanted parts, much more difficult to undo unsatisfactory mods.

-I'm also after some pickup surround rings screws (Which I would prefer in Nickel but they just don't seem to exist - what were the original 50s ones - chrome?)

The surround screws are usually black if the surrounds are black. The pickup height-adjust screws are usually nickel or chrome, you can order either type here: http://www.stewmac.c...ws_springs.html

I typically order some in different lengths to get the right fit, then put the rest in inventory.

Anyway the question is; Do Gibson and Epiphone use the same screw dimensions for the pickup surround rings?

There are differences, even within US and Asian rings. Best to make the decisions when you have the parts in hand. Some sites like Stew Mac provide dimensions; others don't.

What about the height adjustment screw too?

See above.

PS, Pete R's comment about the truss rod cover was in reference to the "GIBSON" engraving. Those TRCs were from the older Korean models, so it makes sense that the seller is including the new TRC which he may have switched out for aesthetic reasons.

Archived