Gibson Brands Forums

Es-347 Question

glennc

Hello,

I have a 1985 ES-347 for trade. I've owned it a while and had replaced some tarnished parts and small items to fit my current desire. Well I am looking to trade it and have found that it did have a Gold TP-6 tailpiece. My question is that I found in the same bag a set of Gibson knobs, don't know the technical name, but they are black top-hat shaped with the silver insert with the name of the switch. The guitar currently has black speed knobs. Looking in Ebay I've seen them with both. What do the experts believe came on the guitar originally? Do appreciate the help.

glennc

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I have a 1985 ES-347 for trade. I've owned it a while and had replaced some tarnished parts and small items to fit my current desire. Well I am looking to trade it and have found that it did have a Gold TP-6 tailpiece. My question is that I found in the same bag a set of Gibson knobs, don't know the technical name, but they are black top-hat shaped with the silver insert with the name of the switch. The guitar currently has black speed knobs. Looking in Ebay I've seen them with both. What do the experts believe came on the guitar originally? Do appreciate the help.

glennc

Do you still have the guitar? Are you interested in selling it?

The Gibson knobs are very likely original. On the other hand, Adrian Ingram's book, The Gibson 335 has an undated catalog photo of an ES-347 (p 49) that shows speed knobs. I have a 1982 Gibson catalog that shows the top hats, I think.

Hello lpdeluxe,

Thanks for your response. They are period correct probably and a high probability the originals. Thanks for the additional confirmation and information!

Cheers

Glenn

• 2 months later...

Archived