Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to find out some deets about a Goldtop '57 reissue

owlfootage

Hello friends, I've encountered a fellow willing to let go of his Goldtop and I'd like to know I'm dropping a few grand wisely. I've seen it in person and I don't doubt its authenticity, but I don't have the exact model in mind (like, which kind of Goldtop it could be EXACTLY, if you catch my drift, i.e is it worth a few grand). He told me it's a '57 reissue. I browsed through my local guitar shop that distro's Gibsons to bone up (this would be my first Gibson) and what threw me was a Goldtop for a grand, all-gold, compared to one with a darker back, far more used, for three grand. Here are 2 pics:

The serial also kind of threw me: 7 7XXX

I sleuthed around and I gathered zeroes fill in the gaps, the last three must be the model-produced-number, the first 7 refers to '57 and the other seven is for 2007.

So any advice on how could I best price this badboy would be appreciated. This is my first time crackin my grand cherry for a geetar, pretty intense!

Thanks and kind regards!

That's a '57. I've seen used ones with a natural back sell for as low as $1,700. I guess the range is anywhere between $1,700 - $2,200 for a used R7. Dark backs are a little less common and may fetch a few extra $. All gold are even less common but it's up to you to determine if the all gold is worth the extra $.

I've only seen one all gold R7 in person and it was in a store listed at $4,000. All brand new R7 with a gloss (shiny) finish are also listed at $4,000.

So, this one is $1,000? I didn't quite understand your post.

The second 7 refers to the year the guitar was built. It could be a 1997 or 2007 but I think it's a 2007 based on the inlays. '97s had rounder corners.

That's a '57. I've seen used ones with a natural back sell for as low as $1,700. I guess the range is anywhere between $1,700 - $2,200 for a used R7. Dark backs are a little less common and may fetch a few extra $. All gold are even less common but it's up to you to determine if the all gold is worth the extra $.

I've only seen one all gold R7 in person and it was in a store listed at $4,000. All brand new R7 with a gloss (shiny) finish are also listed at $4,000.

So, this one is $1,000? I didn't quite understand your post.

The second 7 refers to the year the guitar was built. It could be a 1997 or 2007 but I think it's a 2007 based on the inlays. '97s had rounder corners.

Thanks for the reply! What I meant was that when I went to look at goldtops at a local guitar store I saw a wide range of prices, and one was as low as 1000$. This one in the pics is for 3000.

Thanks for the thread, found some great info and I'm fairly positive in my new baby's authenticity. Totally got it. My new baby girl weighs in at 10.9-11.2 pounds, so I'm guessing she's not quite weight-relieved, or chambered. Certainly doesn't feel light but I guess I would need some fancy x-ray goggs to know for sure. Still, SO happy.

It was funny, the seller was telling me about his journey to the manufacturing plant and tour, and how this model was made after Gibson had gotten complaints about the poorer sound compared to the full-bodies. He said it was a wood thing, but the chambered information was really fascinating.

One strange detail is, and I'm sure it's visible from the pics, is the thumb-sized dent on the front. I'm not particularly concerned, but it's interesting that it seems to be IN the wood, and THEN painted over. A strange anomaly, and I probably should have inquired, but oh well, everyone's a little dented.

Interestingly, I sent Gibson the serial and they MSRP'd it at like 8400. Pretty crazy. Anyway, thanks again and cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived