Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot pickguards

Crow

Crow, I definitely like the short 335-style much more than the stock Epi shape. A couple years ago when I was looking to add a guard to my Dot Studio, I was shocked to see how much dealers such as Terrapin were charging. It was too rich for this poor man's blood, especially on a $200 guitar. TWANG made one for me (he had recently purchased a Dot Studio and made a guard for it, so mine was made from a tracing of his), and his pricing was a nice surprise. Mine is solid black, to go with the all-black hardware scheme of the guitar; I even got a black bracket/screw to match. Twang also made me a solid black TRC to match.

In both cases, we got to unique-ify our guitars, making them truly ours.

Crow, I definitely like the short 335-style much more than the stock Epi shape. A couple years ago when I was looking to add a guard to my Dot Studio, I was shocked to see how much dealers such as Terrapin were charging. It was too rich for this poor man's blood, especially on a $200 guitar. TWANG made one for me (he had recently purchased a Dot Studio and made a guard for it, so mine was made from a tracing of his), and his pricing was a nice surprise. Mine is solid black, to go with the all-black hardware scheme of the guitar; I even got a black bracket/screw to match. Twang also made me a solid black TRC to match.

In both cases, we got to unique-ify our guitars, making them truly ours.

I looked around for posts from Twang, and it looked like he was busy and not around much. So I went for Terrapin. You are right, I paid $34 including shipping for mine. Worth it to me. But expensive for a piece of plastic.(three pieces actually) I would rather have a b/c/b/c/b guard but terrapin doesn't offer that option. Only in the black and white. The way I look at it is this. I paid an affordable price back in 1999 for this guitar. After 12 years, I spent another couple of hundred for new pickups that I like, and a guard that doesn't irritate me like the old one. And, I still like this Dot. It's been a good guitar regardless of market price. It plays real nice, and sounds better than I can play it. It's just a hobby for me, and I am making it mine. I might be done, then again I might not. Maybe I should find another one that I like. But I have a wall full now. Each unique in itself. Guitars are cool that way. No two alike.They will all outlast me.

I would rather have a b/c/b/c/b guard but terrapin doesn't offer that option.

I'm pretty sure they do. It looks like it cost a few bucks more, but look under "Materials Options". It has "5 ply B/W/B/W/B .125 GLOSS" listed as an option. http://www.terrapinisland.com/chitzenitza/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=25

EDIT: Sorry, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize you were talking about b/CREAM/b/CREAM/b. They do have the black and white 5 ply though.

I'm pretty sure they do. It looks like it cost a few bucks more, but look under "Materials Options". It has "5 ply B/W/B/W/B .125 GLOSS" listed as an option. http://www.terrapinisland.com/chitzenitza/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=25

EDIT: Sorry, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize you were talking about b/CREAM/b/CREAM/b. They do have the black and white 5 ply though.

Yes they have them in black and white, but not the cream. The cream is pretty white tho. Much whiter than my binfing. I see many Gibsons with cream bunding and bright white edged pickguards, they look nice but they don't mathc.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone.

I *lucked* into a Korean ('01) sweet, Natural Finish dot. Natural with a tinge of nicotine, more precisely...but I'm airing out the new addition, so I think all will be well.

Being that I like things engraved, I was searching for a pickguard with the E logo engraved and not as a sticker.

I'll look through the options provided via the links shown herein.

I'm going to keep the pickups that came with it, and I was quite happy to see the "Gibson" on the truss rod cover. It was that little detail that got me searching the serial number and, voila! I have found a new sweetie.

Nice to have forums like these to meet other Epi enthusiasts.

String

Archived