Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-125

Deb3334

My friend and I have what we believe is a 1950 vintage Gibson ES-125 w/single non-adjustable P-90 pick-up with dog ears; and a raised pickguard.

It has a starburst top, translucent dark brown back, gold silkscreen logo, dot fingerboard.

It appears that the bridge is Braziliam rosewood. It has front and back body binding. Body is 16".

Inside the f-hole we see the number 4359 17. Not sure if that is serial number or FON.

The case is made by Geib but does not fit the descriptions that we found as far as the lining. The lining in this one is blue. So we are not sure of it's originality.

The guitar is in need of cleaning, but as we do not know how, we left it alone.

There is some weathering, a scratch on the side of the body, one of the tuner knobs is broken, the covers for the 3-in-1 line of tuners seems to be missing if there was one, and there is a mark on the pick guard of unknown cause. There is also one string missing.

From all the research we have done, we are guessing it is a 1950 and valued any where from $875 - $1800. Can anyone give us there opinion on our findings?

post-29451-051547100 1295219067_thumb.jpg

I'd say you pretty much nailed it. Good job. A couple of minor points...

That top finish is referred to as a "sunburst" (not starburst).

The number is most likely a FON (factory order number). Serial numbers were uncommon during and for a few years after WWII.

The spot on the upper portion of the pickguard is caused by the decomposition of the material it's made from. As you can see from the appearance of the nearby metal parts (frets and pickguard bracket), there is a gas being released by this decomposition which is damaging the finish of the metal. I would advise you to remove the pickguard and seek a replacement.

I'm not sure what to say about your tuners, as the photo doesn't show them. Maybe somebody else will have ideas.

Take the guitar to the nearest shop and have them put on some new strings (unless you know how to do that yourself). The old strings have no value, so the fact that one is missing is not a big deal.

Obviously, the value is somewhat subjective, but your range seems reasonable. You can always do more research on that by checking completed ebay auctions, or looking at gbase.com to see what dealers are asking.

Congrats, by the way. It may not be a high end Gibson, but those are very good utility instruments.

Thanks for the feedback, Jim. My friend is looking to sell it. We did not know for sure what we had or what it's value is. So after a few hours of research, I was able to calculate the year and a wide range for the value. I will check ebay and gbase as you suggested for further approximate value.

I don't know why I typed starburst,,,,,I knew it was sunburst.

Because he is looking to sell it, we would like to show it in all it's glory. Would it be safe to use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean and moisturize the wood?

As for the pickguard, because of the originality, and wanting to sell it as such, should we remove it to prevent further damage, and set it aside for the purchaser or just leave it intake?

As for the tuner, I have attached another photo so you can see what I mean about the cover being missing if there was one. post-29451-040203400 1295285607_thumb.jpeg

Hi, Just looked and read and I agree with Jim. I would NOT do your Murphy oil soap/cleaning idea, ESPECIALLY if you are wanting to sell it!

I have cleaned many of those old Gibson,s and that is not the way.

The guitar is a budget entry-level Gibson archtop(1949-1950). Certainly a nice old guitar. Does yours have a flat back or arched?

I had one with the non-adjustable pole piece P-90 a few years ago with the flat back. They are good pickups.

Several more clear pictures would help with interest in buying.

You may consider advertising in the Trading Post on this forum.

If you are not guitar savvy, I would leave it like it is and not risk devaluing it by doing something (stupid) or rather .....ill-informed.

Oh yeah, the tuners look(blurred) original to the guitar.

Regards, Rod

I actually like using regular old window cleaner to remove grease & dirt from a vintage guitar. Spray ot on a paper towel (not directly on the guitar) and wipe with the grain. It won't hurt the finish and cleans very well. Finish with a good guitar polish or I use Doozy's Furniture polish which leaves a beautiful shine.

I would still like to know if the back is flat?

Seems that so many people on the Vintage Forum write in one time... wanting info and then never follow-up! Gripes my arse! Typical though... [glare]

RRod

Sorry for the delay in responding. Having trouble with internet connection. My friend said it is an archback.

• 8 months later...

Archived