Gibson Brands Forums

Some observations about the P-93 to a fellow forumite who recently obtained one

crust

Hi. I do like my P93. The major issue I have had with mine is string buzzing at low action and string breaking with the factory equip bridge. The string buzz is normal on Epiphones with low action, it says so right in the Epiphone users manual. I do not notice any "buzz" when the guitar is amplified and recorded. I did adjust the truss rod and adjust the string height (after installing an intonateable gold plated roller bridge). I might bring it to my local (expert) luthier for a fret job, but I don't think it would make much of a difference (the strings buzz on the low A and E strings around the 5th to 7th frets, just a little, with aggressive attack). I haven't broken a string (yet) with the roller bridge(which cost about $50). The sound of the guitar is "dark" (not muddy, but "bassy" I guess. I like it for rythem . If I use the treble

settings on "high" it does get relatively twangy. The neck is wide and thin, wider than a strat or LP, but it is easy enough for me to play. I like it a lot (it was about $450.00)

without a case. My main playing style is Chicago style blues, which I think this guitar is perfect for, country, swing, big band, jazz, even classic rock. It doesn't do brutal metal too good, too much feedback at high gain. It is a nice guitar for the money and I would buy again (at a sale price). I like it, did a little work on it and have kept it, which I do not do if I don't like a particular guitar. It is pretty heavy for a "hollow" guitar, surprisingly so actually. Ya, I really like it quite a bit. There are many mods you can do to the electronics if you are into that. Even for $550.00 (with a replacement roller bridge) I think it is well worth the money. I didn't see any finish flaws or anything like that on mine, the pickups were installed correctly. Ya, the more I write about it, the more I realize how nice it actually is. I'd like a goldtop or natural (I think that would be wicked). I'll ask if they can make a natural one in a post.

Any more questions, please ask, I'm happy to answer. If you do get it, let us know by posting a picture or 3.

Keep on playing and maybe you will become a guitar "god". I'm happy to hear you got a nice one. I'm also happy to hear you put a roller bridge on the one you got. I'm not good at doing "mods" (yet), maybe in time. Post a picture when you can, I think everyone on this forum would like to check it out(with the replaced roller bridge). I hope my "review" helped. One other thing, make sure the nut that holds the jack in place is tight,it can come loose easily, tighten it a little bit and watch that it doesn't come loose and (this is important) use a 90 degree (L) plug on the guitar chord to the guitar. A "straight" plug ,if it is pulled on, will pry out the jack (act like a lever"). The shorter "L" male connector on the guitar chord doesn't have a long "torque arm" like a straight connector plug. If you are using a straight connector, be careful not to pull on it, you might pop out the jack plug on the guitar so be careful.

Archived