Gibson Brands Forums

Varitone For Epi Dot???

DennisMiller

Looking on the web, it appears the Dot comes with 2 wire humbuckers. Does it require 4 wire humbuckers to install a Varitone switch?

If the Varitone can be installed with the stock pickups, does anyone have a link to a correct wiring diagram?

Thanks,

Dennis

Pickups don't matter. Just 2 wires, one to hot, one to ground. Check this out.

I already have the switch. I got it from a Gibson dealer and it was a lot less than what the guy on the web is charging.

I just need to see a wiring diagram before I go pulling things out with my big hands and then can't get them back in again.

Does it have all the caps and resistors on it or is it just a switch??? How about the choke??? There should be 5 caps of various values, maybe resistors depending on the design, and a choke. When you're done, you end up with two wires, one goes to ground one to hot. The one I linked to is self contained, it has all the caps & choke included.

Does it have all the caps and resistors on it or is it just a switch??? How about the choke??? There should be 5 caps of various values, maybe resistors depending on the design, and a choke. When you're done, you end up with two wires, one goes to ground one to hot. The one I linked to is self contained, it has all the caps & choke included.

It has everything already on it, nicely taped up under the switch with only a red wire and a white wire running from it. Is this a matter that the switch is the only thing that gets installed and pickups don't need to run to the switch? Does the Varitone simply interrupt the signal chain at some point?

It has everything already on it, nicely taped up under the switch with only a red wire and a white wire running from it. Is this a matter that the switch is the only thing that gets installed and pickups don't need to run to the switch? Does the Varitone simply interrupt the signal chain at some point?

Just hook one wire to ground and the other to hot. Just think of your tone control, it has a capacitor hooked up to it going between hot & ground. That cap shapes the tone.

Basically, the switch is just 5 more caps that do the same thing, and each of those caps will affect a different tonal range. The rotary switch just chooses which of the 5 caps get put in the circuit. The choke (usually one side of a small transformer on self contained units) helps keep the output balanced. Gibson uses resistors to keep the switch from popping in between settings, optional on modern switches and usually omitted on self contained units to keep the size to a minimum.

• 9 years later...

I have a Dot Tudio, 1 volume, 1 varicose, pickup selector. That's it. It is satin finish dark red, black hardware throughout.  The varicose definitely is a great tool.  Although some settings sound as though the volume has dropped, using very light compression really makes this a great tone monster. I actually prefer it to my Sheraton. Varitone isn't for everyone,  but it definitely works for me! I'm just happy that I didn't need to install it. That's not in my wheelhouse.