Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 Strap Button

blanks0821

I have a 2010 ES-175 and need to have an upper strap button installed. It seems that the best place for balance is on the left top, side of the body, next to the bass side of the neck (kind of where a Les Paul strap button would be). Any advice?

I am very disappointed in Gibson. I have bought about 9 Les Pauls, a Gibson Dove Custom, an ES-335, SG and now this ES-175. I have tried several times to reach their Customer Service and Restoration & Repairs departments and have gotten no response. It must be nice in this economy to be making so much money that you can ignore the customers who are making you the money!!!

It seems that the best place for balance is on the left top, side of the body, next to the bass side of the neck (kind of where a Les Paul strap button would be).

No, there is nothing there to screw in to except the thin wood of the side of the guitar. I would not recommend trusting this area to support your guitar, and in the case of failure, you run a great risk of serious guitar damage.

There are a few areas of the neck heal, or bottom of the neck that that are recommended, and it becomes a VERY personal issue on which of these areas to use. This topic has been VERY heatedly debated in at least two threads on this website. Try a "strap button" search.

A little history of this type of guitar. They were originally intended to be played while sitting down, and therefore required no strap buttons. Most jazz players to this day (including me) play sitting down. When the need for strap buttons arised they installed one on the bottom into the block of wood that holds the seams of the sides together (the tailblock), and it was SOP to fasten the other end of the strap around the peghead (under the strings just above the nut) in the "shoelace" fashion. That's why years ago all guitar straps came with 12" shoelace attached to one end.

Gibson archtops continue to be made in the "traditional" fashion, therefore no top strap button. I'm sure even the high-end guitar makers at Gibson couldn't agree on where to put it, and the customers would always think it was in the wrong place wherever they put it. So, it's up to you to decide.

Here's where I put a strap button on my L-5 and L-7.....Let the debate begin.

2840718563_d0a0b662d0.jpg

Archived