Gibson Brands Forums

sustain difference between 335 and 336

Doin Montary

let me start by saying i play mostly blues... currently i am playing on a Crafter CT125 which is a solid body with classical strings made by Hoehner i think ??? the guitar feels great on my fingers (nylon) but when plugged into an amp has a thump kind of tone and zero sustain... hollowbodys have a similar kind of thump whereas the 335 semi-hollow and the solid bodies have more sustain ... i KNOW the difference is in that wood block ... well, may also have something to do with pickups ...

can you describe the sustain difference between the 335 and the 336 ?

The ES 335 that I owned sustained with a deeper roar versus my CS 346 and CS 356 guitars

regardless of the amp that I used. Additionally, I found the tones between the two were

very different as well. The 335 sounded better. My only issue was that the 335 was not easy to play due to it's sixteen inch bottom versus the much smaller thirteen inch bottom of the 336, 346 and 356. Can you sound like BB King on a 336? Maybe. The 335 gets you closer without the extra effort. The 336, 356 were designed to provide an alternate sound to the LP. Whereas the 335 was designed to cover many genres (Blues, Rock, Jazz)very well.

Listen to Larry Carlton (Mr. 335) tone and compare it to a 336.

Jazz

[cool]

The ES 335 that I owned sustained with a deeper roar versus my CS 346 and CS 356 guitars

regardless of the amp that I used. Additionally, I found the tones between the two were

very different as well. The 335 sounded better. My only issue was that the 335 was not easy to play due to it's sixteen inch bottom versus the much smaller thirteen inch bottom of the 336, 346 and 356. Can you sound like BB King on a 336? Maybe. The 335 gets you closer without the extra effort. The 336, 356 were designed to provide an alternate sound to the LP. Whereas the 335 was designed to cover many genres (Blues, Rock, Jazz)very well.

Listen to Larry Carlton (Mr. 335) tone and compare it to a 336.

Jazz

[cool]

thanks Jazz, from all i have learned, it seems that you can only tell which one has the right tone, feel, and vibe by visiting the music stores and playing the different models. Internets are great for looking at pictures and sharing feedback, but the only way to buy a guitar is hands-ears on.

Archived