Gibson Brands Forums

2008 1958 Gold Top LP Murphy

itsevolutionbaby

R" stands for Reissue. R8 is a 1958 Reissue and so on. Some are VOS and some have a Glossy finish. If your pickups are all shiny and your finsh has a high gloss to it than it's probably not a VOS. Murphy means Tom Murphy who built this particular model back then.

Hope this helps you.

So, this one is relic'd fairly extensively(checking all over the guitar,hardware, buckle rash, binding,etc). Found the other murphy's for the 58s but nothing in a gold top. were these made for a specific vendor or something? Any idea on the production numbers? It's a 2008 looking at the serial number.

Murphy means Tom Murphy who built this particular model back then.

What? Tom Murphy ages guitars for Gibson. When someone says a Murphy R8, that means it's an R8 aged by Tom Murphy.

itsevolutionbaby, sounds like you have a 50th anniversary R8. Didn't it come with a 50th anniversary certificate? I believe there were 75 gold top 50th R8s...in addition to the 2,500+ other R8s Gibson made in 2008. Check the pouch in the case for a certificate or post pictures of it to here (use photobucket.com, upload pictures there, paste the IMG code here) to make sure it's not a fake. Gibson guitars are faked all the time and unless she paid over $3,000 for that guitar...

What? Tom Murphy ages guitars for Gibson. When someone says a Murphy R8, that means it's an R8 aged by Tom Murphy.

itsevolutionbaby, sounds like you have a 50th anniversary R8. Didn't it come with a 50th anniversary certificate? I believe there were 75 gold top 50th R8s...in addition to the 2,500+ other R8s Gibson made in 2008. Check the pouch in the case for a certificate or post pictures of it to here (use photobucket.com, upload pictures there, paste the IMG code here) to make sure it's not a fake. Gibson guitars are faked all the time and unless she paid over $3,000 for that guitar...

It didn't come with a COA, but all the rest of the origial case candy. it's in the old brown case as well, not the newer TKL ones my LPC and DG335 came in. SHe paid $3200 at a GC used, so I don't have much hesitation on the authenticity. it's a 2008 since the serial number is 8 8XXX. Thanks for the info. Will Gibson reissue COA's? I assume not, but worth a shot.

Archived