Gibson Brands Forums

FireFly 30DSP

kappa363

I get somewhat confused about how to connect one amp/ cabinet to another. With that in mind, here are my questions:

I have a FireFly 30 DSP, I am thinking of getting the VOX AC4. The VOX does not have a headphone jack, but it does have a 16-ohm speaker output. Would I be able to connect the vox to the firefly then plug my headphones into the firefly? This will mute everything except what's being played through the headphones...? If this is all true, what kind of cable should I make for this connection?

Thanks

I get somewhat confused about how to connect one amp/ cabinet to another. With that in mind, here are my questions:

I have a FireFly 30 DSP, I am thinking of getting the VOX AC4. The VOX does not have a headphone jack, but it does have a 16-ohm speaker output. Would I be able to connect the vox to the firefly then plug my headphones into the firefly? This will mute everything except what's being played through the headphones...? If this is all true, what kind of cable should I make for this connection?

Thanks

Simple answer - No!

BTW Welcome to the board [thumbup]

Do either of them have an effects loop. If they both do then you could possibly connect the send from the Vox to the return of the Firefly.

The speaker output level would be waaaaaaay too high for the input of the Firefly and you'd stand a pretty good chance of frying both amps.

Something like this might be what you're looking for Weber Headphone Tap or an attenuator with a headphone tap such as one of these Mini Mass Attenuator

The weber headphone tap is exactly what I need. I've been looking for something like this for awhile. I like how it has a line out, I can connect that to my digitech GNX4 and record in sonar. Just one thing, the back input says "from amp". Do I connect this to the 16-ohm speaker output on the back of the vox? Also the vox has a built-in power attenuator, will this cause any problems running before the weber headphone tap?

It depends if plugging into the external speaker jack will cut the internal speaker.

The inbuilt attenuator will just mean that the volume through the headphones/line out will be quieter or louder at a given volume setting.

Yea, I was doing some more research on the weber headphone tap. It seems I would be better plugging it into a line out, but the vox I want does not have it. Oh well. At first I thought the firefly could work for what I wanted. I'm gonna try the vox forum, maybe I can get some more answers there. Thanks for the help.

Nope the headphone tap is designed to go between the amp and speaker so will do exactly what you want.

Where you install it will simply depend on whether the amp cuts the signal to the internal speaker when you plug into the external speaker jack.

If it does then you simply take a lead from the external speaker kack to the headphone tap and then either plug in phones or your GNX4.

If it doesn't then you need to take a lead (male spade connectors to 1/4" male) from your internal speaker cable to the headphone tap and then another lead back to the speaker (1/4" male to female spade connectors). Then either plug in phones or your GNX4 as above.

What I would say is, the Vox isn't going to sound the same through headphones or line out via the GNX4 as it does through speakers so personally I'd forget it and either mike it for recording or simply use the GNX4.

Thanks for all the info, it really has been much help. I think I will just forget about the headphones. The only reason I really wanted it, is because I live in an apartment and for late night jamming I wanted to isolate the sound. But I have other gear that can do pretty much the same thing. And when I do record I will use a mic, I just won't do it late at night...

Archived