Gibson Brands Forums

g-400 Custom Pickup problem

jhamel

I recently installed a Tony Iommi pickup in the bridge of my g-400 custom, along with a new volume pot for it, as well as a .22 cap

For some reason, when my toggle switch is in either the middle or bridge position, my other two pickups (a 57 classic in the neck and a Burstbucker Pro in the middle-both with vintage braided wiring) sound all hollow and muffled, like the tone is turned all the way down, and when i turn the actual tone knob down, they just sound even more muffled. However, when the toggle is in the neck position, both the middle and neck pickups sound crystal clear.

other than the pickups, and the new pot and cap for the bridge pickup, everything else is stock. I wired it the way it came, and have had no problems right up until I put in this new bridge pickup.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I don't have a picture of my wiring, but I basically followed this diagram, only all my pots contain their own caps.

Not sure I understand how it's wired. When you say "all your pots contain their own caps" do you mean you put caps on the volume control pots too?

Is it possible the TI pickup is not installed with reverse polarity in relation to the other pickups?

Have you tried any other wiring from the TI pickup to it's volume pot?

Pics are more or less mandatory in this situation...

Not sure I understand how it's wired. When you say "all your pots contain their own caps" do you mean you put caps on the volume control pots too?

Is it possible the TI pickup is not installed with reverse polarity in relation to the other pickups?

Have you tried any other wiring from the TI pickup to it's volume pot?

Pics are more or less mandatory in this situation...

I'm real sorry for not being able to take pictures, but that diagram, aside from the caps, matches how the guitar came, and what I used as a guide.

The way the guitar came, brand new, was with caps on each individual pot, just soldered to the two terminals not grounded.

As far as what I've tried with the TI: I've soldered the green wire to the terminal and taped up the red, the way the instructions say to if the pickup is out of phase, which made no difference, I've also spun it around in the pickup cavity, and still nothing.

Another thing worth mentioning is that when unsoldered the TI, the BBP and 57 were sounded clear in all the positions.

I'm not a soldering pro, I can tell you that. So if it's a matter of a wire not being grounded right then I'll just have to try every connection until I find the one giving me trouble.

I was just hoping somebody would read this and be able to point out some glaring technical error that I never would have thought of.

Also, the new capacitor in the bridge volume pot is a different nf than the rest.

If I'm understanding correctly you put a .22 cap on the volume pot for the new bridge pickup? And you grounded the caps when you rewired it? Did you ground all 3 caps? I'm pretty sure the caps on the volume controls should not be grounded but should be soldered to the two lugs on the caps that aren't grounded. Something like this:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WIRING_MOD_VT003/Guitar-Wiring-Mod-Basic-Volume-Treble-Bleed-Bypass-Circuit.html

If I'm understanding correctly you put a .22 cap on the volume pot for the new bridge pickup? And you grounded the caps when you rewired it? Did you ground all 3 caps? I'm pretty sure the caps on the volume controls should not be grounded but should be soldered to the two lugs on the caps that aren't grounded. Something like this:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WIRING_MOD_VT003/Guitar-Wiring-Mod-Basic-Volume-Treble-Bleed-Bypass-Circuit.html

No, I worded that weird. The caps are all wired like your picture, with the toggle switch wire on the outside lug, and the pickup wire in the middle

I think if you do a google image search of "sg custom wiring" or something like that you can find this one picture that a guy took who had the exact same wiring patten as mine.

Archived