Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup cover removal

LP_Studio_FTW

Hello there,

So this is my first topic and I just wanted to know if it was smart to remove the pickup covers.

I red in a couple of places that you can achieve a much more agressive and sharper sound when you remove them plus they look cooler(especially if your pickups are zebras under that chrome cover), but...I also red that you can have problems with feedback when you do it. Any suggestions, tips? Everything is appreciated..

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Brown

Burstbucker Pro's

14. 4. 2009. Nashville

post-30476-078922800 1296935017_thumb.jpg

No, it's not smart to remove your pickup cover. You will not hear a much more aggressive and sharper sound when the cover is off. The cover does produce some eddy currents that can roll off a tiny bit of high end but it's nothing you can hear. So removing them won't improve your sound.

Second, Your Burst Bucker Pro is wax potted which means that once you get the cover off everything will be covered in wax and look like crap. You can clear this up by running the pickup through a wax pot but most people don't have one of those just sitting around. There is also the chance of ruining the pickup if you disturb the wax close to the coils by pulling the cover off.

Finally, your bobbins are Black/Black.

If you want a cool looking pickup, and there's nothing wrong with wanting a cool looking pickup, you're better off just buying a new one unless you really know what you are doing.

No, it's not smart to remove your pickup cover. You will not hear a much more aggressive and sharper sound when the cover is off. The cover does produce some eddy currents that can roll off a tiny bit of high end but it's nothing you can hear. So removing them won't improve your sound.

Second, Your Burst Bucker Pro is wax potted which means that once you get the cover off everything will be covered in wax and look like crap. You can clear this up by running the pickup through a wax pot but most people don't have one of those just sitting around. There is also the chance of ruining the pickup if you disturb the wax close to the coils by pulling the cover off.

Finally, your bobbins are Black/Black.

If you want a cool looking pickup, and there's nothing wrong with wanting a cool looking pickup, you're better off just buying a new one unless you really know what you are doing.

Thanks for the info man, you helped a lot, but seems that I'll have to wait a bit before buying new pickups. If I'm going to buy new ones, they're going to be Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II, but these babies aren't that cheap. Thanks again...

• 1 year later...

When I bought my Les Paul Classic I actually had

the store install covers...I do not like the look

of uncovered humbuckers. My guitar now looks exactly

a Standard but still gets the sound of the hotter

ceramic pickups.

I recently took off the covers off of my 1986 Les Paul. I did notice a increase in tonal quality. I got a more sharp/clear sound, more high mids, and more bite and bark from the bridge pup. I had no prior experience in soldering on guitars but I took my time, paid attention to what I was doing, and everything worked out great for me. I've been told you will get more squeal from covers but i have no fact behind it. As far as i know, if you run a lot of gain, your gonna have feedback without a threshold or noise suppressor.

Archived