Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup indentification: 57 Classic vs 57 Classic Plus

Brett Sparks

Hi. Newbie here. I have what I believe are a 57 classic and a 57 classic plus (ordered from MF after a series of mixups). Problem is, I'm afraid I might have swapped 'em around somewhere along the way.

Is there a way to differentiate between these pickups? They look identical in every way. Is there some tell-tale difference I'm missing or do I have two of the same pup. The only marking is that little black "Patent Applied For" sticker.

Thanks for your help,

Brett

All you have to do is put an ohm meter on them. The one with the higher impedence is the "+", the one with the lower impedence is the standard '57.

Without meaning any disrespect, if you don't have an ohm meter, or do not understand what I'm talking about, then take your guitar to someone who does.

Thanks. Yep, I know what your are talking about. I had thought of doing just that, but, as you state (and no disrespect is taken) I have no Ohm meter. I used to and have been meaning to pick one up, as this issue has arisen before (with old, faulty dearmond guitar mike pickups I've purchased on ebay). Perhaps now I have the incentive to make that dreaded trip to Radio Shack. Thanks again.

ps. That's the only way to distinguish between these two these pickups?

ps. That's the only way to distinguish between these two these pickups?

When I bought a pair of 57+ when they first came out, there was a small foil "flag" label wrapped around the leads that said "57+". I've never had a regular Classic 57 (out of a guitar) so I don't know if they had any sort of label on them or not. From what you describe there seems to be no labels on your pickups at all, so putting a meter on them will be the only way to tell them apart.

It's my understanding that the "+" version was developed to recreate the original PAF's that received a few too many windings, therefore increasing their impedence adn making them "hotter". The only difference between your pickups is the impedence, and that is all you need to measure to differentiate them from one another.

Archived