Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dove

Minor S

Hi guys:

I'm new here and I need to buy an acoustics for my wife for her V'day as a present. She is a beginner and still using her tutor's guitar. I really love to get her a nice one since she is so much into it. Also I like to play some time.

I had been looking at epi dove in last a couple days and search the web with good and bad comments. but I believe it is a good acoustic to start. and I fund this lady wants to sell her new Dove for $200 which she own from a raffle. is it a good price to buy?

and is there anything that I need to exam or watch out for? any advise will be awesome!

thank you!

Hi guys:

I'm new here and I need to buy an acoustics for my wife for her V'day as a present. She is a beginner and still using her tutor's guitar. I really love to get her a nice one since she is so much into it. Also I like to play some time.

I had been looking at epi dove in last a couple days and search the web with good and bad comments. but I believe it is a good acoustic to start. and I fund this lady wants to sell her new Dove for $200 which she own from a raffle. is it a good price to buy?

and is there anything that I need to exam or watch out for? any advise will be awesome!

thank you!

That's a good price for a new one that's little used.

You'll find that opinions vary widely on models like the Dove and Hummingbird because the quality of individual instruments in that price range can vary just by the nature of the manufacturing process and how little attention an individual guitar can get from the builders (time is money!).

How well they are set-up (strings, nut, saddle, and neck adjusted for the player's playing style and comfort) by the manufacturer and by the shop that sells them is also a considerable factor. New players also have different experience and expectations than old hands, and that shows in some reviews, too.

Bottom line: it's best to try before you buy.

If you have a Guitar Center or similar by you, take a look at the Hummingbird Artist or EJ 200 Artist. These guitars are in the same price range ($200-$250), and are getting some great reviews. I played around with both in a store when they first came out, and was shocked by how good they sounded for the money. Again, try before you buy if you can, as the sound and playability of individual instrument can vary, but these seem like a good bet.

If you buy from a shop, don't hesitate to ask them for a free set-up before you buy. Bring the guitar back to the shop for that set-up once you wife has had a chance to play if for a it and can provide some feedback about how it feels to her.

If you V-Day budget is in the >$450 range, you might look for an Epiphone Texan. These are very well liked. If your budget exceeds that, the Epiphone Masterbilt guitars are killer, and start at $500.

Hope you and your wife have a great Valentine's Day!

Red 333

Can I also recommend the AJ200 (or AJ220 I think this year's version) - I used to own one - solid top - great playability and very light. I would rate it as high as the other guitars mentioned and nice size for a lady (I'm a fella but I'm average height!). Looks lovely in the vintage sunburst finish as well. I wish my wife would buy me one for Valentine's day!

Thanks guys, I will take my wife down to GC to try them out and see the finishes. I'm just nervous since I'm buying her first acoustic and I don't want to disappoint her either.

Thank you again!

Good idea. Get her one that's easy to play and sounds good to her. She'll be able to tell.

Otherwise, it won't be any fun for her and she'll stop.

Archived