Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a Goth G-400.

Dougefresh91

Thanks, I'll check those out. I'm starting to think I may just return this guitar. I'm really not happy with the sound, and I have no way of knowing if it's the amp, strings, ect. It looks great, but who cares if it doesn't sound good. Eh. I'm torn. Last night the fret board started buzzing as well, which is extremely annoying. I feel like a brand new guitar shouldn't have all these issues.

Go to a music shop with your guitar and check it out on a good amp - that's what I can recommend. Only this way you will be able to see, if it's an issue with the git or not.

And what about the buzz? On what string and fret does it happen? Maybe, you lowered the bridge too much? When I got my LP, I had a serious amount of fret buzz, and I just had to raise the bridge a tiny bit to get rid of it.

Thanks, I'll check those out. I'm starting to think I may just return this guitar. I'm really not happy with the sound, and I have no way of knowing if it's the amp, strings, ect. It looks great, but who cares if it doesn't sound good. Eh. I'm torn. Last night the fret board started buzzing as well, which is extremely annoying. I feel like a brand new guitar shouldn't have all these issues.

IMHO, unless you are very confident of your setup skills, I'd have a gutiar tech/luthier do that for you. My impression is that guitars are not typically well setup out-of-the-box. As someone new to guitars 7 months ago, I had my guitar setup at the store (with new strings)and I've had no issues with buzzing strings, etc... Good Luck!

I'm not confident in my setup skills. I'm pretty much learning as I go. I have changed the strings on my Strat and other Epi, as well as my Ukulele, so I think I have that part down well enough.

I detuned and lowered the bridge in half turn increments three different times. Once it started buzzing I raised it back up a half turn. The buzzing decreased, but not nearly enough. I'm going to bring it down to Sam Ash this Saturday and if they don't want to help me troubleshoot what the issue is I'll just return it. It's not worth the aggravation to me since I have two other excellent guitars. Not to mention where's all the warranty information, ect. I received nothing with the guitar.

Go to a music shop with your guitar and check it out on a good amp - that's what I can recommend. Only this way you will be able to see, if it's an issue with the git or not.

And what about the buzz? On what string and fret does it happen? Maybe, you lowered the bridge too much? When I got my LP, I had a serious amount of fret buzz, and I just had to raise the bridge a tiny bit to get rid of it.

It seems to buzz up and down the whole fret board. It's worst between 8-12, moreso when I play hard.

It seems to buzz up and down the whole fret board. It's worst between 8-12, moreso when I play hard.

I really believe you lowered the bridge too much for your playing style if this happens everywhere (though I'm not an expert, my logics tell me that if it was about the bow, it would happen mostly over the first frets). Can you measure and compare the string height over the last fret on the Goth and the same distance on the G-400?

Archived