Gibson Brands Forums

ES-350T Scale length (?)

vaxxine

I know the original ES-350T evolved from the Byrdland and therefore had a 23 1/2" scale during it's first run(in the '50s-60's).

The ES-350T was reissued sometime during the late 70's - early 80's, then again around 1992, then again around 1998 (?).

Was the 23 1/2" scale ever used again during any of the reissue periods ? Or has it been 25.5" ever since the originals (50's-60's) ? Was there ever a time when it was made with the 24.75" scale ?

Thanks...Phil

I ordered a ES-350T as a custom order about oh maybe 6-7 years ago when you could do that kind of a thing reasonably. The guitar was made in a custom faded cherry finish with a single P-90 in the neck position. The scale length was 24 3/4". I had inquired about having the original 23 1/2" 1950's scale length for this guitar but Gibson said no waaaaaaay at that time in order to not conflict with the Byrdland guitar. Made no sense to me but who was I to fight with the Custom Shop over it. Regardless a beautiful guitar where I was able to work with the Custom Shop fellow on a weekly basis to observe the guitar being built by him sending me jpegs of the build. From what I understand that kind of working relationship with Gibson has now passed away basically which is sad. jim in Maine

I ordered a ES-350T as a custom order about oh maybe 6-7 years ago when you could do that kind of a thing reasonably. The guitar was made in a custom faded cherry finish with a single P-90 in the neck position. The scale length was 24 3/4". I had inquired about having the original 23 1/2" 1950's scale length for this guitar but Gibson said no waaaaaaay at that time in order to not conflict with the Byrdland guitar. Made no sense to me but who was I to fight with the Custom Shop over it. Regardless a beautiful guitar where I was able to work with the Custom Shop fellow on a weekly basis to observe the guitar being built by him sending me jpegs of the build. From what I understand that kind of working relationship with Gibson has now passed away basically which is sad. jim in Maine

Thanks Jim. An ES-350T with a 24.75" scale would just about be the perfect guitar for me. I *think* all the reissues had the longer 25.5" scale but I'm not totally sure, which is why I posted my question.

Yes the scale was always 25 1/2' on all of the reissue 350T's that I saw coming out of Gibson. It just happened that at the time (1) I had the bucks to get the guitar made the way that I wanted it before the economic downturn ended my doing any more custom orders or for that matter buying more guitars period but such is life I guess......... (2) And the folks that I knew at the time with Gibson were more than willing to make a custom guitar the way that I wanted it specifically in this regard making a custom faded cherry finish for me unlike the usual faded cherry finish that they produced in the run of the mill guitars............jim

Archived