Gibson Brands Forums

Coil Tapping with a 490T

alexanderreay

Hello everyone,

I've got an '87 Les Paul custom which was my main guitar for quite a few years. Since then I have been mainly playing a USA fender telecaster re-issue and SG classics with P-90s in. Although I love my Les Paul distorted I find it can be a bit 'dark and brooding' clean compared. I actually sought out P-90 equipped Gibsons to that end (Not to mention weight also).

So I've started looking at coil tapping to increase it's versitility and reduce guilt for not playing it as much.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a 490T bridge pickup and how they found it compares to the 57 Classic that is currently in my Les Paul?

Also, as I am new to coil tapping, I understand I would require a push/pull pot as they are called but would the 2 'layers' be different values? i.e. 500k when pushed for the humbucker and 250k when pulled for the single coil? As to not have un-even outputs? Or is that not how it works.

Advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers, Alex

Also, as I am new to coil tapping, I understand I would require a push/pull pot as they are called but would the 2 'layers' be different values? i.e. 500k when pushed for the humbucker and 250k when pulled for the single coil? As to not have un-even outputs? Or is that not how it works.

That's not how it works. That is a cool idea though. All a push pull pot is is a pot with a switch on it's back. Pull the knob and make the switch. Push the knob and break it.

Archived