Gibson Brands Forums

Swingster neck too wide?

LimerickRake

So I'm thinking of getting an epiphone swingster, the thing is im about 5'3", I have no trouble with bar chords on like a fender, hammer, etc. The fret board/neck is described as "medium/jumbo" on epiphone's web page, is it significantly wider than a standard fender, ibanez, etc. neck?

What Pete said sounds right to me.

As I read the specs, it should be pretty much "standard epi" neck. Frets apparently vary, but... I've been told "not really."

The fingerboard will feel different from a Fender due to the flatter radius - meaning that it's not as curved across the frets as a Fender.

Frankly I very much prefer the Epi/Gibbie necks in general and find a full barre chord easier on the Epi/Gibson style neck compared to any Fender I've tried.

OTOH, some folks prefer the more curved fingerboard radius for the style they use their hands to play. To me, I'd not likely play a Fender 6-string if one were given to me, and I kinda like the Tele concept if only it had a Gibson/Epi neck. I rather like that brand of bass, however.

One other factor: Changing guitar size/shape can change your physical geometry as a player. For example, the width of strings apart at the nut on an Epi/Gibson almost inevitably is the same. But when I got a Dot, (I'd mostly been playing an ES175) it felt as if the strings were closer together. Measuring at the nut showed it was not narrower.

The shape of the guitar gave me a different angle at the strings in root position. I don't know what you have become most accustomed to. But that's a factor to consider.

m

• 6 months later...

I have just finished playing the Swingster acoustically and I found the neck to be very comfortable and fast. I like it better than the Fender th Aniv. in business Strat that I have (not to be confused with a th Aniv. Strat). It is easier for me to bar chord on it and I am 5' 7" with small hands.

The Swingster has a great potential to be what ever you want it to be as far aplayabilityty and sound.

So I'm thinking of getting an epiphone swingster, the thing is im about 5'3", I have no trouble with bar chords on like a fender, hammer, etc. The fret board/neck is described as "medium/jumbo" on epiphone's web page, is it significantly wider than a standard fender, ibanez, etc. neck?

Pete.R is right, "medium jumbo" refers to the frets, not to the entire neck. The neck of the Swingster is surprisingly thin, at least compared to an Epiphone Broadway, or a Riviera Limited Edition. It has more the shape of a 60s Les Paul slim taper neck. So you should experience no problems.

Archived