Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Size

Shimla

I am curious about fret size members would choose to re-fret their guitars. i just had my SG refretted with fairly narrow fret wire (the old frets were so worn down I was worried fret pliers couldn't get them out) the same vintage size frets that my 74 SG probably started out with - I was tempted to go for jumbo frets which came with my my new strat because they made putting vibrato on bends so easy but at the same time I felt like they made it awkward down sliding notes - like speed bumps - now that I have played it a lot since getting it back I am happy with my decision. The frets are quite tall and narrow and I am getting greats harmonics - what are your thoughts on the pros and cons of fret size? Have your opinions changed over time?

If your do a lot of progressive playing with lots of bends, this is a good idea because as you said it makes bends easier, however, I love the frets that are on my 08' SG now, and if they are anything like the '74, replacing them with the standard and recommended gibson frets should work equally as well. I'd go with regular frets.

Good Luck ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived