Gibson Brands Forums

Redbear Amps - Ever hear of them?

EvanPC

Little background - A friend of mine was moving across the state and wanted to shed a bunch of gear he had. I bought a package deal off of him for $200, and this Redbear amp with Fender 4x12 cab came with it (cab not shown). Didn't know anything about them, and haven't really had too much time to tinker with it. I used to jam at a buddy's, and this is where I kept the amp. It was only when we jammed that I used it.

What I remember of it was that it was BASSY. I think these things were really designed for some heavy, hard rocking tones. Metal. Over the past couple of years, the amp has been at my parents house because I've had no room/use for it in my apartment on the other side of the state. After a quick trip back to the hometown this weekend, I'm bringing the head back with me to southern Ohio.

Seems like few people have heard of these amps, and even fewer own one. Here are some pics:

Redbear%204.jpg

Redbear%203.jpg

Redbear%201.jpg

Interestingly, the company that manufactured these amps was in cahoots with Gibson, who were the importer/dealer for this brand. Gibson apparently got out of the deal back in the late 90's, though. I've also found a website (unofficial, I believe) for Redbear amps. There's an FAQ available there which has some interesting info. It seems as though there are some unique tubes which are very difficult to find these days. Sounds like it would be a....bear....to keep this amp functioning and maintained properly over the years.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/joseph3000/redbear/

I may post something on the mylespaul forums as well, so apologies in advance for the redundancy (I know some of you probably frequent those forums too).

Very, very cool--there are some videos of them on Youtube. They sound really swell to me.

From what I've read, they were also ridiculously inexpensive. Oh, also, they look friggin' cool. [thumbup]

Is it any surprise to you that I want one?

Good call...didn't even think to look on youtube.

Yes, it seems these were supposed to be affordable tube amps, and relatively speaking, they were. Not sure what my buddy originally paid, but considering everything else I got from him in a $200 deal, it was peanuts to me.

Archived