Gibson Brands Forums

Inherited a Pre-War Archtop

shadowrider

Inherited this beauty. All I can determine is that's it's a pre-war archtop. Body size seems to be just short of 15". No serial, no tags, nothing. Zero, zilch, nada.

This was my grandfather's guitar. I'm told that he bought it when my dad was very very young which would put it's purchase in the area of 1940 or so. And knowing my grandfather and him not having much money back then, it was probably used, but I can't confirm that.

I haven't even cleaned it as you can tell, because I don't want to mess it up. I think a pro would be best for this.

Also have an original looking case but it's condition, well, unlike the guitar, it's just done! Looks like it's been drug across the country behind the back of a truck.

Normal checking all over the finish and the fretboard is very dry. All the metal is in nice shape but needs a good polishing. But there are no cracks in the wood anywhere that I can see. So what would it take to get this in playing condition without killing what value it has? And what value would you guys think it would have after any restoration? Can anything be done on the checking? Refinish? (I know this is taboo)

I want to get this in nice playable condition and give it to my granddaughter. Her other grandfather is an outstanding player and I'm sure he love to teach her. She's only six now so maybe in a couple of years? Also where to get a nice period correct case?

IMG_7345.jpg

IMG_7344.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg

IMG_7347.jpg

IMG_7348.jpg

IMG_7349.jpg

IMG_7354.jpg

IMG_7350.jpg

IMG_7353.jpg

Well I feel a bit better now about the finish. So what's the best way to preserve them? What are you guys using?

I was thinking of cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap and following that with some Johnson's paste wax? And boiled linseed oil on the fretboard?

Well I feel a bit better now about the finish. So what's the best way to preserve them? What are you guys using?

I was thinking of cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap and following that with some Johnson's paste wax? And boiled linseed oil on the fretboard?

Hoo boy, hope it's not too late. To answer your question:

No

No

Yes

Murphy's is basically a furniture polish. Anything that has, or potentially has, silicone in it should not go near your guitar finish. Use a soft cloth in warm water with a mild detergent, just damp, not soaking, and carefully clean your guitar. Do small areas at a time. If that doesn't get all the gunk off, try Preservation Polish from Stewart MacDonald.

No wax. Ever. It just attracts dust and grime and gets into the cracks in the finish, making it difficult to repair (same with silicon based products as well).

Boiled linseed oil is fine for the fretboard IF used very sparingly. The fretboard doesn't need oiling, but cleaning once in a very great while is good. Put a few drops of linseed oil on it, use a 0000 steel wool pad gently to clean the gunk off, wipe with a dry, soft cotton cloth. That's it. Please tell me you didn't put the Murphy's and paste wax on it.

Dennis

It's a L-30 c1938-42. The L-37 had a bound pickguard and the L-50 was a 16" wide archtop. Both the L-30 & L-37 were discontinued after WWII.

Another dumb question. How do you tell the difference between bound vs. unbound pickguard?

Hoo boy, hope it's not too late. To answer your question:

No

No

Yes

Murphy's is basically a furniture polish. Anything that has, or potentially has, silicone in it should not go near your guitar finish. Use a soft cloth in warm water with a mild detergent, just damp, not soaking, and carefully clean your guitar. Do small areas at a time. If that doesn't get all the gunk off, try Preservation Polish from Stewart MacDonald.

No wax. Ever. It just attracts dust and grime and gets into the cracks in the finish, making it difficult to repair (same with silicon based products as well).

Boiled linseed oil is fine for the fretboard IF used very sparingly. The fretboard doesn't need oiling, but cleaning once in a very great while is good. Put a few drops of linseed oil on it, use a 0000 steel wool pad gently to clean the gunk off, wipe with a dry, soft cotton cloth. That's it. Please tell me you didn't put the Murphy's and paste wax on it.

Dennis

Nope. Not too late. I was holding off until I have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing and/or get the correct info here.

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated!

Archived