Gibson Brands Forums

Refret and Case Info

brantobrien

Well, it looks like it is time for a refret on my 57 ES225TD. I took it to a local luthier who contacted everyone he knew of to do the work (without shipping the guitar) that I was looking for (Stainless frets, semi-hemispherical ends) and it looks like no one is able/willing to do it. I know Michael Tuttle of bestfrets.com does it, but now I have to ship it. I have been given an anvil case for it, but it's missing the foam to secure the guitar. Does anyone know the type of foam to get that will not effect the nitro and still protect the guitar in shipment? Thanks ahead of time.

~Brant

I do not know the type of foam you want, BUT I do know this : Your guitar's nitro finish has long since cured and I doubt that any foam would harm the guitar in the short time it would take to ship it. Especially if you overnight the package ( I would because I can't be without my precious!). In my experience (sadly), even on a new nitro finish, it takes a while to mar the finish with a guitar stand. In my case, a few weeks went by with no ill effects, then I found where it looked like the finish melted in the contact spots! In my case it took time, and a HOT day in the house for this to happen. I suppose that whatever foam you use, if you wrap your guitar in several layers of newspaper before placing it in the case, you wont have a problem!

I have an old nitro Fender.....placed it in a stand with a cotton rag at the contact points.....the neck was fine, but the butt of the guitar had the texture of the rag "melted" into the finish! Maybe it has to be totally 100% cotton? I think newspaper would do fine. Again, if you ship it fast, I doubt you would need anything separating the guitar from the foam.....but I'd use something just in case.

Thank you all for the suggestions. What each of you said was confirmed by Mr. Tuttle. The only thing he recommended different was to ship the guitar ground to avoid the cargo hold of an airplane (something about temp and possible pressurization issues). Strat-O-Steve thanks for the post on your own history, I will be very careful to make sure to use 100% cotton and cover it a couple times over. Thanks all! I'll post a few pics of the before and after when I get it back under a new thread.

~Brant

I think you may be right Fringe.....but, do you think that it settles down some with age? I expect a fresh coat of lacquer to react quite quickly to rubber and such, but as the years go by and some of the volatile chemicals in the finish evaporate out, do you think it may harden or become a little more stable with age? Guess it's just best to be on the cautious side........

I think you may be right Fringe.....but, do you think that it settles down some with age? I expect a fresh coat of lacquer to react quite quickly to rubber and such, but as the years go by and some of the volatile chemicals in the finish evaporate out, do you think it may harden or become a little more stable with age? Guess it's just best to be on the cautious side........

Here's one of many explanations:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Myths-about-Nitrocellulose-finish-for-electric-guitars_W0QQugidZ10000000004635258

Archived