Gibson Brands Forums

Ever Seen THIS Before?

Elias Graves

Elias indicated in the OP that the crease ran along one of the seams. This would tend to indicate a fracture of the glue joint more than a crack in the wood. Could be either. In any case I would avoid trying to flex the area before getting some moisture in there. If it is dried out so much as to cause a fracture or crack the moisture will relieve some of the stress and prevent further damage whilst doing the inspection.

Alan

Well, no change today. I used the old acoustic guitar trick with a wet sponge in a plastic bag.

I looked inside last night and didn't see any visible splits in the seam. There's no binding damage anywhere either.

Did notice that I'm getting some string buzz at mid neck. The weather has warmed up, though, so it could be a normal springtime thing. I'll tweak the truss rod a little and see if that clears it up.

No intonation or tuning problems, though.

EG

Might be worth running it by a authorized Gibson/Epi repair person to document your concern. If the problem worsens down the road, you'd stand a better chance of getting it covered. Regarding warranty cards, etc, generally you're covered if you've got the original receipt & no one else has registered the same serial number. Hope it all works out okay.

Archived