Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ-160E with "Gibon" headstock and logo

Gilbert

Hi.

I have an opportunity to byu a used Epiphone EJ-160E.

It has some differences compared to the ones I´ve seen before. For instance, the headstock is shaped more like (maybe exactly like) a Gibson. It also has the "Gibson" logo, rather than "Epiphone". The pearl inlay is the same as other Epiphones, though.

The pickup looks quite different, and this guitar has no pick guard. There is no "John Lennon" signature on the body of the guitar. It has a serialnumber; 10124373.

The seller can not give any information. I have contacted Gibson customerservice by e-mail, but so far, no answer.

Anyone seen or heard of a Epiphone like this before? It could be a limited edition, but maybe also some kind of fake?

Welcome Gilbert!

When you say 'Gibson logo on the headstock'.... [confused] What do you mean?

Shape wise, Epiphones have gone from a Epi headstock shape; Gibson like (open book or mustache) with the corners clipped, to more Gibson like (without corners clipped), then back again. Epiphone is always on the headstock between the 2nd or 3rd, and 4th or 5th tuning machines.

Screwed to the headstock, just above and against the nut, is a truss rod cover. At times The truss rod covers have been either blank, had an Epiphone epsilon (roundish looking letter E), or the word "Gibson" on it. Some times a model name may appear here. But these all accurately describe various Epiphones over the years. Most people here wouldn't describe the word GIBSON on the truss rod cover as a logo. It's just a marketing thing to say it is made by the same company that makes Gibsons. Or more correctly, made FOR the same company that makes Gibsons.

Do you have any pictures you can post?

Yup, Looks like a modded headstock.

The pick up does not look to be OEM. What leads you to believe it is an Epiphone?

Can you get a good shot of the inside the sound hole label?

Yup, Looks like a modded headstock.

The pick up does not look to be OEM. What leads you to believe it is an Epiphone?

Can you get a good shot of the inside the sound hole label?

That was my first thought, too--that it may not have started life as Epi, but as a (Japanese maybe) copy of some sort--that bridge looks like awfully nice rosewood for an Epiphone. But if you're going to all the trouble of copying a Gibson, why duplicate the cloud inlay on the Epiphone EJ-160E's headstock, when an actual Gibson has a thistle? It makes sense that the cloud is there if the headstock was a reshaped Epiphone, though. I'd like to see that label, too, and maybe some closer shots of the body, to see if we can tell what method was used to eliminate the Lennon sig, if it was there in the first place.

Also, the body shape looks more Gibsonesque than all but the most recent Epiphones, too (the older ones have a more bean shape). The serial number seems like it could be correct for a newer Epi, with the Gibsony body.

Red 333

I have attached a picture of the label inside the soundhole, where it says "Epiphone"

Regarding the headstock, I too suspected that the logo was changed. But, to me the headstocks on other EJ-160e's seems more "narrow" midway than on this guitar. Compare the pictures attached to see what I mean.

The seller says that the Lennon signature was never there. He also claims that the guitar came from the dealer looking the like this. He has no explanation to any of the differences.

And the shape of the body, the pickup and the missing pickguard is still a mystery.

post-31442-041413300 1299693433_thumb.jpg

post-31442-073534300 1299693442_thumb.jpg

post-31442-033374000 1299693451_thumb.jpg

post-31442-046435000 1299693460_thumb.jpg

"Regarding the headstock, I too suspected that the logo was changed. But, to me the headstocks on other EJ-160e's seems more "narrow" midway than on this guitar. Compare the pictures attached to see what I mean."

it is possible to glue side pieces to the headstock before reshaping to make it wider...I believe there was once a very detailed post on the subject here

"Regarding the headstock, I too suspected that the logo was changed. But, to me the headstocks on other EJ-160e's seems more "narrow" midway than on this guitar. Compare the pictures attached to see what I mean."

it is possible to glue side pieces to the headstock before reshaping to make it wider...I believe there was once a very detailed post on the subject here

Yes. Both real Epiphones and Gibsons are made with "wings": strips of wood attacked to the sides of the headstock, used to widen it so the curves on either side can be shaped in. If you were making a fake Gibson, like the guitar in question, it would be a simple matter to square-off the original shape of the Epiphone headstock, and then add more wood to either side so it could then be cut to look like a Gibson headstock.

Red 333

Archived