Gibson Brands Forums

Epi 56 GT p90 wiring

gnr1971

Does anybody know which wire is the hot wire for this pickup? I keep reading different things. There is a white, red, and bare wire. How do I test with a multimeter to see which is which? Thanks.

The red is "hot" but it doesn't matter, as long as both pickups are connected with the same polarity, just like stereo speakers. No way to tell using a meter.

The red is "hot" but it doesn't matter, as long as both pickups are connected with the same polarity, just like stereo speakers. No way to tell using a meter.

Then I have another problem. I hook up my guitar to my cheap amp and I cannot hear it unless I put in overdrive. The switch nor the volumes do not seem to have any effect.

No way to tell using a meter.

Of course there is, if you set your multimeter to 20Kohm, use the bare wire as ground, then using the red mm probe, probe the red and white wires, the hot wire should show something like 7 or 8 odd Kohm, whereas the the coil ground will show 0 or 1 (0 on mine).

Of course there is, if you set your multimeter to 20Kohm, use the bare wire as ground, then using the red mm probe, probe the red and white wires, the hot wire should show something like 7 or 8 odd Kohm, whereas the the coil ground will show 0 or 1 (0 on mine).

Makes sense - thanks!

Archived