Gibson Brands Forums

gibson johnny a neck profile

Maestro Vibratoer

I own a Johnny A signature and am in love with these guitars. I think theyr'e the best combination of Gibson's illustrious past with a look to the future. Having said that, I own a couple other Gibsons with the slim neck profile (have small hands) and was wondering if shaving the neck (done by a professional) on my Johnny A would be possible and/or recommended. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks

I own a Johnny A signature and am in love with these guitars. I think theyr'e the best combination of Gibson's illustrious past with a look to the future. Having said that' date=' I own a couple other Gibsons with the slim neck profile (have small hands) and was wondering if shaving the neck (done by a professional) on my Johnny A would be possible and/or recommended. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks [/quote']

Hi ObJ, and welcome to the forums .

Take a look at the volute on the white guitar , that is the Alex Lifeson ES-355 compared

to another ES-355 of the same time period .

My hand is sore from the VOLUTE on the Alex guitar .

I love the guitar but the volute is only in the way .

Yet , Gibson insists this is correct ? eusa_wall.gif

Hi ObJ' date=' and welcome to the forums .

Take a look at the volute on the white guitar , that is the Alex Lifeson ES-355 compared

to another ES-355 of the same time period .

My hand is sore from the VOLUTE on the Alex guitar .

I love the guitar but the volute is only in the way .

Yet , Gibson insists this is correct ? [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_wall.gif[/img]

I forgot the pic . I am getting to old for this ](*,)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/RareFormMusic/DSC00186compred.jpg

Hi Lerxst and thanks for the reply. The Johnny A actually does not have a volute I don't think. Basically the neck is a little fat from what i'm used to. Have heard of various players shaving down their necks (ie. Jimmy Page) to get a slimmer profile. Anyway, it's not a big deal. Did check your pics for your Alex 335 and compared to my 75 Les Paul custom. The volute on my LP is way above the nut. I can see why you might be a little uncomfortable with Liefson model. Oh well, I guess you just get used to these things

• 3 years later...

no volute on my johnn a either. i like the neck profile.

i'm sure if you had a skilled luthier shave the neck to your specifications

it could be done. but you would have to be certain of what you need done and live with the result.

I have decided to hold off on any modifications to the Johnny A. I have another hollowbody (335)

that is easier for me to navigate. Perhaps the large neck (on the Johnny A)enhances the acoustic qualities of the

guitar. It sure sounds sweet un-amplified. I don't see that many Johnny A's for sale any more. I wonder

if they even make them today.

I have decided to hold off on any modifications to the Johnny A. I have another hollowbody (335)

that is easier for me to navigate. Perhaps the large neck (on the Johnny A)enhances the acoustic qualities of the

guitar. It sure sounds sweet un-amplified. I don't see that many Johnny A's for sale any more. I wonder

if they even make them today.

Yes, they do still make them. Here's a bunch:

My link

I met Johnny A in the Gibson booth at the Winter NAMM show and discussed his model with him at length, because I don't like a neck that's too chunky at the nut. He said that there's enough variation in them so that I might find one a bit thinner. Instead, I had Gibson build me a custom one with a slim-taper neck that turned out to be fabulous. Awhile after I got that, I bought another custom one with a neck that's on the thinner side the standard Johnny A profile and that's a great guitar too. These are my two favorite guitars for standup gigs.

Here's a photo of them:

4415b79e.jpg

The Johnny A registry has lots of info about these guitars:

My link

Danny W.

Yes, they do still make them. Here's a bunch:

My link

I met Johnny A in the Gibson booth at the Winter NAMM show and discussed his model with him at length, because I don't like a neck that's too chunky at the nut. He said that there's enough variation in them so that I might find one a bit thinner. Instead, I had Gibson build me a custom one with a slim-taper neck that turned out to be fabulous. Awhile after I got that, I bought another custom one with a neck that's on the thinner side the standard Johnny A profile and that's a great guitar too. These are my two favorite guitars for standup gigs.

Here's a photo of them:

4415b79e.jpg

The Johnny A registry has lots of info about these guitars:

Danny, I have mine in the registry #623. Great guitars, by the way, in your photo. I kind of like the hollow bodies myself, though also have a things for '66 Sg's. Talk about a slim neck. I was actually thinking of ordering Johnny A with a slim neck from Gibson, but was not sure about spending whatever that would require. If you ever decided to sell your custom order keep me in mind. You have great taste in guitars.

My link

Danny W.

Archived