Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L 4 C serial A28941 with D'dario (?) pickup

johny harris

In my reference books that serial number comes up 1959. That's all I can tell you without detailed photos. I know there are a couple of L-4 players here on this website, maybe they will chime in soon.

As for value, the best way to determine it's REAL value is to find out what similar (or identical) guitars have sold for in the open market. An e-bay search of "completed auctions" is a good place to start. A formal written appraisal will give you a nice number on paper, but they are generally only useful for insurance purposes, not for resale value.

Tracing the history and evolution of the model is easy through the many books published on Gibson guitars. Tracing the history of a specific instrument is virtually impossible. Gibson has no records of original owners that far back, nor would they give out that info if they had it. The only chance you would have is to do a backward "geneology" type search. Talk to who you bought it from, find out who they bought it from, and who they bought it from etc, etc. In the world of musicians and guitar players, these things are seldom documented.

Archived