Gibson Brands Forums

Alpha pots

Cap'n Greenfog

Cap,

Congrats on getting it the way you want it!

Looks like 50's independent to me. (best I can tell from the pic) and Yes.... IMHO adjusting the wiring and electronics can make a huge difference in the utility of controlling a guitar and ultimately the sound it produces. The next guy may or may not even notice. He, however, is not playing your guitar.

You Are!!!

Once again, job well done!

Willy

Thanks for the quick reply, Willy. When I started talking about this project, I was looking at spending close to three hundred dollars to make a drastic improvement to my guitar. I was feeling very discouraged because I just can't afford to blow that much money on my hobby. Slowly but surely, thanks to much research and advice, I was able to chisel that figure down to less than fifteen dollars. That's what my daddy would call "A good lick". I'm real happy with the results. Now, I'm looking foward to taking it to my local luthier for a good set-up. I get it set up about once a year. He's real good. For seventy dollars he adjusts action, neck relief and intonation. He can get the action REAL low, which I like. Man, that LP feels good after Dennis gets a hold of it. Oh, I can't wait.

I notice that the bridge pup is weak and sterile sounding, but not bad enough to go ripping things apart again.

Try adjusting the pickup height, bring it closer to the strings a little bit, that might make all the difference you need.

Congrats on the mods brw, Good job.

Archived