Gibson Brands Forums

I live so close to the city but yet i never really went to a record store there.

dem00n

I'm planning to go the New York city on Friday and i would like to visit some record stores. Ive been to one but it was stale, what they mostly had was classical music. Which is alright but i dont really know any names in classical music that pop out when i see them. So do you guys know any solid record stores with an overall selection of genres? Any heavy metal record stores still alive? [lol]

The best ones I can think of are Generation Records at 210 Thompson Street between West 3rd and Bleecker, and Bleecker Bob's at 118 West 3rd, between Avenue Of The Americas and MacDougal. Generation has, or had, an excellent metal collection--probably the best I've seen in the city--but over the years it has gradually developed more of an extensive punk and indie selection. Bleecker Bob's is weird--and the people who work there are assholes, usually--but don't let that dissuade you, because they have an excellent catalogue, although they do tend to price a little high. Academy Records on West 18th Street is also great--the prices they sell used items at are usually hard to beat. Academy has the best selection for jazz and classical in NYC, bar none.

Look around, though--there are good music stores all around the West Village. There's this one place I went to, and I wish I could tell you where it was, because I got a second-edition copy of Morbid Angel's Blessed are the Sick for $4 there, and it was in pretty good condition, too.

The best ones I can think of are Generation Records at 210 Thompson Street between West 3rd and Bleecker, and Bleecker Bob's at 118 West 3rd, between Avenue Of The Americas and MacDougal. Generation has, or had, an excellent metal collection--probably the best I've seen in the city--but over the years it has gradually developed more of an extensive punk and indie selection. Bleecker Bob's is weird--and the people who work there are assholes, usually--but don't let that dissuade you, because they have an excellent catalogue, although they do tend to price a little high. Academy Records on West 18th Street is also great--the prices they sell used items at are usually hard to beat. Academy has the best selection for jazz and classical in NYC, bar none.

Look around, though--there are good music stores all around the West Village. There's this one place I went to, and I wish I could tell you where it was, because I got a second-edition copy of Morbid Angel's Blessed are the Sick for $4 there, and it was in pretty good condition, too.

Thanks. Ive heard of Academy records my friend got me Wes Montgomery CD there, kinda pricey but alright. Ill check out the stores you said. :D

Archived