Gibson Brands Forums

LP 50th Anniversary VS Historic VOS?

Cyberrock

If you're comparing a 50th anniversary R9 to a regular 2009 R9, they are the exact same guitar. The only differences are the 50th R9s come in Heritage Cherry or Darkburst with gloss finishes and the certificate is gold instead of black. Those finishes were only found on the 50ths. I believe only the 50th R9s and 50th R0s came with gold certificates.

The sticker price is what - $6,000 now? That's a good price if you ask me but they can be purchased for much less.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
But Not the Gold COA 50th. Anni's. they go for around 5.5-6k now. depending on condition and the top.

People can ask whatever they want for them but that doesn't mean they'll actually sell for that much. I sold my 50th for $4,200. There have been a few other 50ths around here, mainly Darkbursts, with asking prices of around $4,500 and they took forever to sell.

• 4 months later...

Would just jump in here and add my $.02. Back in '07 I bought a new '06 from MF / Private Reserve. They'd used it as their photo guitar and as such sold it as a "blem". Price looked great (under $4k) and shots of it looked superb. When I received it I was a bit astonished at how bad some things were on it. Bridge studs were tilted towards the nut to the degree it was impossible to set the intonation. The neck is glued in at a slight angle to the treble side, throwing off alignment of the strings over the pickups, The nut was so poorly cut that the first & second strings buzzed the first fret at correct string height & relief. Assorted small build flaws, which I ignore because they're reminiscent of the originals (I once owned a real 1960 Burst).

I had the bridge holes filled & re-drilled at the proper angle to the top, installed stainless steel studs, replaced the bridge and re-cut new saddles to align the strings properly and installed a new nut. It now plays great, but no one should have to do this on any guitar sold at these prices. I highly recommend you play and inspect any '59 RI before you buy. They are all slightly different and you will find one that sings just right to you. I love mine now, but was extremely disappointed in the purchase for some time.

Edit to add Musician's Friend's promo shot of the guitar, c. early 2007:

Photoof59LP96680onMFWebsite2-21-07.jpg

On a stand in my office after I received it. Believe it or not, these are two shots of the same guitar:

59VOS2.jpg

Archived