Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird 76 bicentennial with star inlays

icethirteen

New here and didn't see the vintage section so I am reposting here. Sorry about that.

Hi,

Looking for a little help on this one http://s1020.photobu...gomery%20DY62c/

Serial keeps coming up as a '67 made in Kalamazoo and I can't find any others with factory star inlays only dots. Would like any info or if anyone has seen another with star inlays.

Getting ready to send it to Fretworks as it needs a few things, the neck HB is awesome and the bridge is a little thin but comes up fine on multimeter so not sure whats going on there. The neck looks like it was years ago and is rock solid. Overall great shape. Case is in fair shape.

Thanks in advance and hopefully that link works here on the forum, I can add pics if needed but they are large.

I've never seen a Firebird with Star inlays before, as every '76 I've seen (even IN 1976) had dots.

They seem to be original, no evidence of being changed from dot's also note the 15th, 17th, 19th and 21st are smaller. Dots weren't that small on this guitar so would be easy to tell. The board hasn't been removed. It's a puzzler even to Gibson. I sent it out and should know more soon, I hope.

I sent the guitar out and their first impression is that the guitar is consistent to a Gibson Firebird 76 and that the star inlays appear to be original. Hope to find out more next week.

They seem to be original, no evidence of being changed from dot's also note the 15th, 17th, 19th and 21st are smaller. Dots weren't that small on this guitar so would be easy to tell. The board hasn't been removed. It's a puzzler even to Gibson. I sent it out and should know more soon, I hope.

• 3 weeks later...

It's always possible the stars are original, but looking at the neck photos, it looks like the neck has had a lot of work. Besides a headstock repair, it was re-painted to look like a bound neck. You can make out the line along the side. Usually on a white bicentennial you can see the ends of the fret slots and the side of the un-bound rosewood board. I also see a lot of black filler around the stars. I have a hunch the stars were added when the headstock was repaired and the neck re-painted.

• 3 weeks later...

It's always possible the stars are original, but looking at the neck photos, it looks like the neck has had a lot of work. Besides a headstock repair, it was re-painted to look like a bound neck. You can make out the line along the side. Usually on a white bicentennial you can see the ends of the fret slots and the side of the un-bound rosewood board. I also see a lot of black filler around the stars. I have a hunch the stars were added when the headstock was repaired and the neck re-painted.

Weird, I am not getting any notifications. I will have to look at my settings.

Anyways, your right it would appear this way but the binding is exactly the same as the other cream Firebird 76 at the shop it is at now. Also we thought we saw what you are seeing with filler in the pics and under high intensity black lights it is just a dab of hide glue. There is no filler but the stars are definitely hand cut so who knows. The techs have been back and forth. It sure plays sweet and I am thinking of posting it for trade but if it stays with me that will fine too.

• 1 year later...

Weird, I am not getting any notifications. I will have to look at my settings.

Anyways, your right it would appear this way but the binding is exactly the same as the other cream Firebird 76 at the shop it is at now. Also we thought we saw what you are seeing with filler in the pics and under high intensity black lights it is just a dab of hide glue. There is no filler but the stars are definitely hand cut so who knows. The techs have been back and forth. It sure plays sweet and I am thinking of posting it for trade but if it stays with me that will fine too.

Please shoot me a pm if you're looking to trade.

• 1 month later...

Archived