Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between ES-339 and Pat Martino

Guitars1

Just wondering what the difference is between ES-339 and Pat Martino

The Pat Martino uses the smaller "straight-pull" headstock to reduce string travel from the nut to the tuners. It's body back and sides are routed from a solid block of mahogany (similar to a CS-336 and CS-356) that is then capped with bookmatched maple. There is a control cavity access panel in the back too.

The ES-339 is constructed very differently, but like an ES-335: maple/poplar/maple plywood is shaped under pressure and then glued together around a maple center block inside.

I know about these... just wondering about the 336 and 339.

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're really looking for the ES-339 vs. CS-336, then this might help:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/66812-cs336-n-es339/page__view__findpost__p__904654

The main differences between the CS-336 and the Pat Martino are that the PM has the narrow headstock, the control cavity access in back, a wider body and (I think) a thinner profile top to bottom. The shape of the rout inside the PM (i.e. how much "center block" there might be) could vary also... but I'm less sure about that.

Archived