Gibson Brands Forums

335 fat neck

sigibson56

Hi guys

just acquired my first 335 and it's great! I've gigged it a couple of times but I've noticed a buzzing now happening on the B string when played open or fretted anywhere. It doesn't come throug the amp but it's really annoying in the house when turned down!

I thought it could be a screw loose somewhere so I tightened them up and changed the string but it's still there...any thoughts?

Si

I'd bet that you guys are experiencing the intonation screw and retainer wire buzzing. It happens to everyone that has the ABR-1 style bridge. There are a few fixes for this. You can replace the bridge with a aftermarket one that has better features like the Tone Pros one. http://www.tonepros.com/Products.htm

Or you can play with the wire and screw till you get it to stop but it will eventually buzz again. Remove the wire and the buzz will stop but you risk loosing a saddle if a string breaks. By the way Gibson is using the Tone Pros bridge on the 08 Les Paul Standard.

Just before you start worrying about the bridge. I own quite a few guitars and every now and again there can be a buzz on one or more strings in diferent positions on the fret board etc. However usually its the set up (like 100% in my cases).

Have your guitar checked by your trusted luthier before you conclude its the bridge. Regards, AlanC.

Check to make sure you don't have a slight bow (reverse warp) in the neck. Usually that will buzz all the strings,but it you have a high fret it could just affect one. If there is a slight bow, you could loosen the truss rod a tad,should ease it up. Make sure you know EXACTLY what you're doing, cause when you mess with the rod, you're potentially flirting with disaster, especially on a Gibson!

Yeah, so I checked to make sure that I have proper relief in the neck. I loosened the truss rod a tad, raising the strings, then lowered the bridge. Perfect-a-mundo. Guess I was just to chicken to do it on my good guitar. I've done it B4 on my $100 Chinese Strat. Tnx all, for the help - RES P.S Anybody like my avatar?

Archived