Gibson Brands Forums

Odd LP Custom Wiring?

03LPC

I'm new to Les Pauls and hear a lot talk about using audio taper for volume pots and linear taper for tone. However, I have 2 LP Customs ('03 & '08) that are just the opposite. They use Alpha linear pots (B500K) for volume and audio pots (A500K) for tone. The wiring harness is also the same on both. The guitars pictured in "The Gibson Les Paul Handbook" are like mine so I figure this is the factory setup.

Other differences, my '03 has star washers under each pot. The '08 has no washers and masking tape over the top of the pot terminal shelf. The '03 has 57CH(G)F/GLD & HOTCH(G)R/GLD pups but they may have been changed since the '08 has something else.

Steve

I'm new to Les Pauls and hear a lot talk about using audio taper for volume pots and linear taper for tone. However, I have 2 LP Customs ('03 & '08) that are just the opposite. They use Alpha linear pots (B500K) for volume and audio pots (A500K) for tone. The wiring harness is also the same on both. The guitars pictured in "The Gibson Les Paul Handbook" are like mine so I figure this is the factory setup.

Other differences, my '03 has star washers under each pot. The '08 has no washers and masking tape over the top of the pot terminal shelf. The '03 has 57CH(G)F/GLD & HOTCH(G)R/GLD pups but they may have been changed since the '08 has something else.

Steve

G'day and welcome to the forums, great bunch around here.

Your guitars are wired correctly, who or wherever said linear for tone was plain wrong, who wants a volume control that is almost silent when set at 5. The washers are only to adjust the height of the shaft so the knobs fit near the top of the body. They are original Epi pups, I have the same pups in my G400 Custom.

Archived