Gibson Brands Forums

Loose floyd rose

scapegoater

I've got a two week old Alex Lifeson LP, and when I got it, the trem bar on the Floyd Rose used to require a good amount of pressure to put in. When it was in, it was good and solid with very little free movement (I had to push it out of the way after using it in a song, for example.. it wouldn't just swing loosely). Suddenly, it's super loose. In fact, the bar went flying out the Floyd mid-song at a gig last night. Anyone else experiencing this? How "tight" should it be?

Thanks!

I've got a two week old Alex Lifeson LP, and when I got it, the trem bar on the Floyd Rose used to require a good amount of pressure to put in. When it was in, it was good and solid with very little free movement (I had to push it out of the way after using it in a song, for example.. it wouldn't just swing loosely). Suddenly, it's super loose. In fact, the bar went flying out the Floyd mid-song at a gig last night. Anyone else experiencing this? How "tight" should it be?

Thanks!

All Floyds do this, & there is an easy fix. Put two or three wraps of teflon tape around the threads of the trem arm socket, and snug up the nut just tight enough to where you like the feel of the arm. The arm tension usually lasts for a month or two before the socket threads need to be re-taped. I have an Axcess Standard, and I was actually happy when the arm finally loosened up - I prefer the arm to drop & swing just a tad when I'm not using it. How tight it should be is entirely up to the player.

BTW, congrats on the purchase of your new Lifeson Axcess, & welcome to the forums!

All Floyds do this, & there is an easy fix. Put two or three wraps of teflon tape around the threads of the trem arm socket, and snug up the nut just tight enough to where you like the feel of the arm. The arm tension usually lasts for a month or two before the socket threads need to be re-taped. I have an Axcess Standard, and I was actually happy when the arm finally loosened up - I prefer the arm to drop & swing just a tad when I'm not using it. How tight it should be is entirely up to the player.

BTW, congrats on the purchase of your new Lifeson Axcess, & welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the tip, and the welcome! Just to be sure, my Floyd doesn't have threads (it doesn't screw in), but just pushes into trem hole. I assume this concept works for this type of system as well?

Thanks again!

Archived