Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt DR500P

thejames8

Hi!

I've just purchased a DR500P, which I love! However I've been playing guitar for over 3 years and the action isn't that bad but after playing for quite a while it really makes your fingers sting.. I'm not a newbie, but I have played many acoustics and although not as easy to play as electrics I have never had this. I'm not a very techy person so wondered if the more experienced forum members could help me. Should I get a guitar tech to look at it? Perhaps change the saddle? Or could it be the strings? Also what gauge would you recommend?

Many thanks :)

Hi!

I've just purchased a DR500P, which I love! However I've been playing guitar for over 3 years and the action isn't that bad but after playing for quite a while it really makes your fingers sting.. I'm not a newbie, but I have played many acoustics and although not as easy to play as electrics I have never had this. I'm not a very techy person so wondered if the more experienced forum members could help me. Should I get a guitar tech to look at it? Perhaps change the saddle? Or could it be the strings? Also what gauge would you recommend?

Many thanks :)

Assuming you purchased the guitar new it would be worth while having it setup by a qualified guitar tech. The guitar tech can verify and adjust things like relief and action. Of course action should be set to suit one's playing style; that you can talk over with the tech. As for string gauge that also is a matter of the style of music you like to play and the sound you want out of your guitar. Basically the lighter the gauge the easier it is to fret the strings, but the lighter the gauge the lesser the full tone. Again talk it over with a guitar tech. Hope that helps.

If you are an electric player, .011s' will allow you to bend all over the place BUTTTT ... they suck if you try to play slide and the tone (although OK ) is not anywhere near as good as thicker guage. The instrument ships with .012s which are my favorite.

I once put .013's on to satisfy a curiousity but they seemed to ad more bow/stress to the neck and I wasn't interested in losing what I considered a perfect setup with the 012s.

Spend a hundred bucks with a real good tech to set it up to exactly where you want (NOT where he wants) the first time. Then, buy yourself a setup book and a few tools at Stew-Mac for less than 75.00 and you'll be setting up your own guitars for life.

Archived